Warm-Season Centipede Issues.. hmm. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by charp07, Mar 24, 2019.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if it helps any my parents put some centipede seed on their yard about 3 years ago and it hasn't come up yet.

the same thing happened on my brother's yard and then finally it came up and covered the entire yard. centipede can be tricky sometimes.

2. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

Was everything done right? I’ve planted several times and never had an issue with it not coming up.

3. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I will tell you what, you have two dogs (one big) they will pee a lot! Some of the problem you are having with fungus is the urine it weakens the grass and fungus will come in. Do you pick up the poop? The soil test will tell you much more. Centipede is very sensitive to chemicals google it.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

Yes, I'm excited to see what the results are telling me about the lawn. I did the front lawn and then did the front portion of the back yard and then the rear portion of the back yard. So 3 different areas.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah. lawn was aerated and seed was put out and starter fert and water and everything. still took 2-3 years before it came up. growing it from seed is not the best way. sod or plugs is better.

we had actually thought it didn't work since it didn't come up for a year or two. we thought it was a complete waste of money....but then like the 3rd year it came up for whatever reason.

i thought it was very odd that it took 3 years before it started to grow.

6. WhiteStoneGuy

WhiteStoneGuy LawnSite Member

Fescue is aerated and seeded. Centipede seed has to be planted 1/8-1/4” deep

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

when seed goes into the holes it's deep enough. you can loosen up the soil then rake it to cover the seed. really it's not needed. you just kind of loosen up the soil and when it rains the seed gets covered by the dirt on it's own.

you can't really spend the time on a 3 acre yard to do it by the textbooks. you just rough up the ground a bit or aerate it and then throw the seed out.

i planted some seed before at one house i had. i didn't do anything but throw the seed out and it came up within a month. it wasn't centipede though.

it may not have been aeration they did. it was a roller thing with spikes on it. it just loosened up the dirt and put holes in it. sort of aeration but not like taking plugs out of the dirt.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    theltz81 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

As promised, here are the results!

Now, I have no clue what I am looking at though lol. Nor did they include what the optimal ranges should be??

The back area of my back lawn is the most problem spot, but the pH is closer to what Centipede likes (5.0-5.5). So many questions with these results..

398058524.png

68405189.png

390310003.png

9. WhiteStoneGuy

WhiteStoneGuy LawnSite Member

Your soil is too alkaline for centipede. You need to do some applications of sulfur (Tiger 90) to lower the pH. Spread the apps out.

Also, from now on, only use sulphate fertilizers. Ammonium sulphate as the Nitrogen source and Sulphate of Potash as the potassium source. You will only find this in expensive golf course fertilizer blends.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

Do I use the recommended rate all at once??

Or do I spread the totaltrecommended rate over multiple apps? What's the safe max rate per 100 or 1000sqft rate per application?