Warm season grass fertilizer program

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by brettah, Mar 15, 2019.

1. brettah

brettah LawnSite Member

I am looking to change my fertilizer program this year. I am in South Georgia with mainly centipede and st Augustine. I have been putting out 15-0-15 the past several years at 1/2 lb N 2 times per year. I am considering a change from that. The chlorine in this was 12% which I have recently learned is not good haha I am thinking one granular and then mixing a liquid that contains humid acid, seaweed, etc each time I spray a herbicide which would be 3 times per year. Thoughts?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Potassium sulfate would avoid the excess chlorine. Plus, a small amount of nitrogen (like urea) in the liquid solution would work. A nitrogen stabilizer like Uflex (or similar brand) would reduce nitrogen loss from leaching.
    Then again--I learned about centipede right here. I am 1000 miles from you.

https://www.domyown.com/nfixx-p-14182.html

brettah likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

Perhaps you could study the soil requirements of centipede--needs acid soil and plenty of iron and micronutrients. One treatment per year could include sulfur to help acidify the soil.
    It is more work--however--this means you can have a special program for St Augustine and then for centipede. Maybe carry two kinds of fertilizer. Two spreaders.
    Do this for better results and to better compete with other lawn companies. Tregren cannot do this. The big dogs want to kill off the little pups--do not let them.

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it sounds nutty, but my best centipede lawns never get fertilized, no weed control at all and get mowed every 3 weeks on average. The less I do the better they look.

5. RigglePLC

Weed control three times per year? Probably you are over the yearly 2,4-D limit.
    If you want to make some money and do the lawn some good--maybe do one application--with sulfur, chelated iron, micronutrients and a tiny bit of nitrogen and potash.

Maybe the more experienced guys can comment on that; local advice is better.

brettah likes this.
  6. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

So long as the centipede looks good and is weed free, I don't know if it even cares how little you fertilize it. The best ones I find are the ones that are just mowed regularly with the right soil underneath. Once a year with some micros and its good.

So the soil test would be my main expense for that lawn, if its all right, it doesn't even need the humic.

brettah likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

You want to do two types of applications, centipede or St Augustine.
    Use the liquid with low nitrogen, micro-nutrients, chelated iron and sulfur--mild weed killer. Use the 1.5 gallons per minute nozzle.
    Use the same solution on St Augustine, using the 3 gal per minute nozzle--but then go over it as a second step with a high-quality fertilizer with a higher nitrogen level suited to St Augustine.
    Supplement with a backpack sprayer if a special herbicide is needed.

Four types of grass in the warm season area. Requires some creative thinking. However it gives you some opportunities to do a better job than the companies who rush their people, and use semi-trained temporary workers.

I recall talking to a salesman from a big company when he was giving his pitch at my neighbor's house. He correctly identified clover--but when I asked about spurge--he called it, "Another type of clover."

brettah likes this.