Warm weather seed germination

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I wanted to test seed germination under warm conditions.
Three seed types (just a a pinch) were tested while rolled up in paper towels and placed in a coffee mug partially filled with water. Midnight Kentucky Blue from Outsidepride.com (2019), and then a bulk-quality tall fescue blend, and bulk-quality annual rye from a local garden store (both 2021).
The weather report temp was a bit lower, 85 F, at 4 pm. It was expected to fall to about 63 F in the next 8 hours of nighttime, and then only hit 81 on the next day.

Attachments

• IMGP4749.JPG
    IMGP4749.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Shucks, the hot spell ended and the high temp on July 21 was officially 78 F. And the overnight low was only 57 F. This from an ag weather station about 10 miles away.
The annual rye germinated to a tiny root length of about 1/8 inch on July 22, at about 48 hours.

Attachments

• IMGP4751.JPG
    IMGP4751.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP4752.JPG
    IMGP4752.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 39
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Temperature slightly cool at 82 F high and 72 low. At 72 hours (3 days), annual rye root sprout was a maximum of about 3/4 inch and the tall fescue had sprouts of about one-eighth inch.

Attachments

• IMGP4756.JPG
    IMGP4756.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
At day four, the annual rye had a maximum green sprout of 1 inch.
Tall fescue had a maximum of about one-half inch.
Midnight bluegrass showed no sign of actual germination so far.
Temperature reached a high of 87 and a low of 66 F.

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
At day 5, The temperature was 86 and the low was 68. Annual ryegrass had germinated to a length of about 3 inches maximum. The tall fescue was at about three-quarters inch as a maximum.
Midnight Bluegrass (purchased in 2019), showed no germination.

Attachments

• IMGP4760.JPG
    IMGP4760.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
i had a decent stand of somewhat cheap titan Rx TTTF going this Spring/summer, I knew heat would be a big factor but i renovated an area and had some Titan from ~19 I wanted to get rid of before it expired worse, and I figured anything for the time being would be better than the all-dirt that was there, set up sprinkler on a timer, full full sun.
It was doing decent but I either over fertilized it with urea around week 6 after germination or it wasn't mature enough to withstand the sedgehammer app it needed, and I went pretty heavy on the SH preferring to eradicate the nutsedge even if the TTTF died. And/Or it was overwatered probably because there was some pooling despite the full sun, I had it going for around 6 mins every day around 5am, 9, noon, and 3. prolly too much water but the other factors didn't help either.

It is possible with everything perfect to grow in mid summer but tricky. I laugh when I see towns renovate an area in mid summer and put straw over seed or hydroseed and, yup the next spring there's no turf.

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't give up , Roody.
Another potential problem--if the soil is wet and the soil temp is high--a fungus--like pythium may take out large sections rather quickly.

My results after an out of town trip.

At 8 days, the annual rye was at a maximum growth of 3 inches, tall fescue at about 3, and the Midnight Kentucky bluegrass at about 1/4 inch long.

Attachments

• IMGP4764.JPG
    IMGP4764.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 43
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
After 12 days at summer temperatures (75 F today), the tall fescue seed looked stronger. Midnight bluegrass was at about an inch long.
Today I am giving the seed four hours of sunlight to stimulate more growth. Seed food reserves probably depleted.
Still rolled up in moist paper towels.

Attachments

• IMGP4790.JPG
    IMGP4790.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
On August 22nd a second seed germination test was started. This with seed in paper towels rolled up and standing in a coffee mug containing a half-inch of water.
Temperatures were very warm, 62 at night and 93 during the day in my storage shed.
After 48 hours annual rye (left) had germinated to a maximum shoot and root length of about 1/4 inch. The tall fescue 3-way blend (right) showed only tiny hints of germination.
IMGP4987.JPG

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
At 72 hours the tallest annual rye was about 3/4 inch long. And the tallest tall fescue was about 1/4 inch long. This at daytime temps of about 90--slightly cooler in my shed which has partial shade.
Click on the pictures to get a better view--more clear.
I added two new tests. Midnight Kentucky bluegrass, plus some pre-germinated
annual rye on August 25, 2021.
The seeds were rolled up in paper towels and placed in a coffee mug with about a half-inch of water in the bottom.

Top Forums