warm winter-early green up.

lawn king

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm expecting grass to emerge from dormancy very early this year. Its been super warm here, The ground never froze deeper than an inch or so, even then it only lasted a day or two.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm expecting grass to emerge from dormancy very early this year. Its been super warm here, The ground never froze deeper than an inch or so, even then it only lasted a day or two.
Still too early to tell but I will agree this is a strange winter.
It could still get cold and snowy yet, still 2 full months of winter to go.
Best thing is, 2 months already down:)

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
It looks like this might happen i have been thinking the same thing

It greened up early last year. In most years it warms up and starts to green up but we will get a could snap and stop it. But not last year just lots of rain

Some one said that cold weather and snow to return next week we will see.

It's been 60 deg for 2 days now

Charles Cue

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I heard from a buddy today this won't be much of a winter, not sure how he knows but judging by how its already goin...I think it will be this way throughout the next 2 months. Lil snow here & there, nothin big. So much for ice fishing. We got about 3" the other night, then the next day it was almost +10 out! Wtf is goin on in this world?
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I heard from a buddy today this won't be much of a winter, not sure how he knows but judging by how its already goin...I think it will be this way throughout the next 2 months. Lil snow here & there, nothin big. So much for ice fishing. We got about 3" the other night, then the next day it was almost +10 out! Wtf is goin on in this world?
Posted via Mobile Device
+10??

I know you are Canada but that is still plenty cold.

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
im guessing hes talkin celcius, so like 50 f

anyway, our snow is mostly gone here just patchy spots ,
the turf looks nice and alot more green than usual,
at least things should look good in the spring, i dont expect much
for snow mold or plow damage or winter kill - so that will be nice

fireman gus

LawnSite Senior Member
We started our first application of pre-emergent yesterday. This is 2 weeks earlier than normal but we have added lots of yards and with the warm weather we just decided to start earlier. Started with some acreages and all went well. Forecasting rain Friday, hopefully we will see it. We are so dry.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Still plenty of time for snow, this time last year we got 20" of snow in 24hrs, you just never know. Plow damage? We get a couple of snowfalls there will be due to the ground not beign frozen. Mother Nature is too unpredictable, never knwo whats in store for us.

Pilgrims' Pride

LawnSite Senior Member
Maybe we'll get an early start this year!
Its not snowing, so maybe we'll do lime early this year.
Maybe start deep root feeds.
Could use the $ with this snow free winter.
We'll see.