Was offered contract type lawns from company

Tha5150

LawnSite Member
I was just offered a per contract type job (assuming i could do this on the side).

I replyed to an add on craigslist, talked to a guy. basically he gets companies and banks and gets all their yards across the country. he pays 20 per cut on initial cut and 15 per recut within 2 weeks if applicable. radius is 25 miles from my house. i have to take 10-15 before and after photos. mow, weed, edge, blow and if shrubs are overground and need cut, i need to bid to get that additional on top of the 20.

sounds like a decent idea for the company, not too sure it is financially benificial to me.

what do you guys think? he just emailed me a 9 page agreement form and need to get it back to him.

a little on me and where i stand, i am starting out this year, have complete trailer setup with everything needed. i have a full time job an hour away from home that pays pretty good but want to get back into the lawn business, locally of course. i plan on getting my own accounts as fast as possible but know that it is a competative business so not too sure how fast i can build my account list. i have 0 currently. business cards will be finished tomorrow and plan on walking the neighborhood this weekend for clients, with my card.

i hope that within a year i can quit my salary job and do yards full time and make as much as i make now. wife and 18 month old little girl are depending on my income. i do not want to make a mistake and jump the gun too soon. i planned on getting my own accounts on the weekends, once that is too much and i have no more time, quit my salary job (computers) and work with a friend who has a lawn business 1 or 2 days out of the week until i have enough accounts to go on my own.

make sense?

what should i do!!!??? :confused::confused:

OP
T

Tha5150

LawnSite Member
Pricing List

Initial Yard Maintenance (up to 15,000sqft): $20

Yard Re-cuts: $15

Trip Charge: $8

Debris Removal: $8/cubic yard

Padlock/hasp installation: $10/padlock

Perform Estimate: $8

Winterization: $35

Monthly Maid Service (Janitorial): $15

Snow removal: $15

**Please Note** Perform Estimate is a specific work order types. The amount is paid on work
orders which have “Perform Estimate” specifically written on the work order to the right of the
words “Preservation Job Category”.

Trip Charges are paid if you are assigned a work order for a property and are unable to
complete work due to property being occupied or address discrepancies. Your State
Coordinator may approve trip charges I other instances- those approval will be on a case –by-
case basis. Photos must be provided to be paid a trip charge.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
Be advised these are usually crap filled weed beds that don't get cut regularly. Many of these companies will be picky to get out of paying you. Way late paying is normal. Numerous horror stories on here about these companies. A 9 page agreement will have many loopholes. I'm saying be leery and go slow until you see how they work. I've never seen the same cutters twice in my heighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

Tha5150

LawnSite Member
i was thinking all the same. i am not going to jump on something just to get me out of this office, behind this chair. around double could be made from a personal account and not someone elses, plus with they are asking for all these pictures, i will be there an additional 20 min at each place. thats the time i would need to get to a new place. thus taking off about 30% of a days work from just taking pictures at each place, or i dont get paid.

also, it isnt like i have jobs around town i could sneak a few of these in per day you know? i would have to quit my job now in order to take this one and does NOT seem to profitable...

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Walks into the Thread :walking:.......Skakes head No :nono::nono: and Screams.......why would you think about this type of work?

Listen ...$20 buck to cut a lawn that is so overgrown you can not see crap is nothing. Especially the first time you hit something with your mower in that tall turf and take our a spindel. How about the next lawn you get to after getting your spindel repaired and you hit the backflow because the turf had been allowed to grow up over it? So let see, you have replaced a spindel, replaced a backflow, taken a bazillion photos and earned all of $40 that you may get paid sometime in the distant future. Sound like a way to make a very stable lawn company doesn't it. :nono:

Then think of not only the time you are going to take the photos.....but also when you get home how long it is going to take for you to upload them to the company? Is there website fast and friendly....most likely not.......the story goes on and on. This does not and has not ever sounded like a profitable venture to me.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Fyi most pay 35 to 40 for a cut. Even more if its a larger area. This is for normal mowing, overgrown first cut you can double triple. I think this guy is underbidding the work then getting people to do it for even less.
Posted via Mobile Device

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
DON'T DO IT!

There is a reason why they are putting ads on CL. They want the cheapest labor possible. They late pay and you will usually lose money.

Dude! Quiting a full time good paying job to play this game full of low ballers and rising gas prices. Your crazy! You have a wife and child. This work doesn't carry healthcare, no work is for sure and you are at the mercy of the economy in your area. Look into healthcare for your family. Probably run you over $400 a month. Or take your wife to the Doc with no issurance see what that bill looks like. I have a wife and 2 kids, $550 per month for health insurance, that doesn't even cover dental. That's out of my pocket! Stay at your job and mow a few lawns on the side so you can take the family on a great vacation every year.
Posted via Mobile Device

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I did this SHORTLY a couple years ago when i was first starting out, i agree with all above replies, taking all the photos and waiting for a check gets old quick! Seems like theres ALWAYS a middle man taking a cut.. Not worth it!

OP
T

Tha5150

LawnSite Member
hey man, GREAT ADVICE!!!

one thing though, wife and daughter have their own healthcare and i have non.. i am ex military so i am covered for life. it works out this way cheaper vs if i had them for my company because i would then have to pay for myself. know what i mean?

and yes, some accounts on the side is fine when keeping my salary but it isnt much. being blunt cause it doesnt matter on here.. i make 42.5k per year and drive 2 hours per day to work and back. leave at 7am and get home at 6pm. get to see daughter for an hour or so before she goes to bed and never have time for ANYTHING with those hours.

i see 2 of my high school friends making more than 100k per year as LCO and since i just moved back to my home town, i am motivated and want to get away from computers