Wasp Repellant..??

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Hello folks...I have an ongoing situation at my local Humane Society here in New Hampshire. I've been battling wasp nests for months now...I completely kill everything, pull the nests down, stomp them, throw them out....and rinse the entire section. This is over our front entrance, which is calling for a law suit if someone allergic gets stung....

Basically, I can keep killing them every few weeks, and hope eventually they stop coming back, or I can figure out a way to rid the problem all together. Is there a way to repel the wasps all together from that location? Someone I can spray, hang up, or anything like that?

Any input is helpful, as this is a danger to customers, but also our animals that have outside play runs.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you opposed to spraying chemicals? I spray Bifenthrin on my own home up around the soffitts where they like to build nests. They also like dark places out of the sun, so you could add more lights at the entrance.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
There's an old wives tale that if you paint the ceiling (eves in your case) a light blue color (sky colored) It deters wasps from nesting there. I don't know how effective it is but there ya go.

OP
DSmits1984

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Are you opposed to spraying chemicals? I spray Bifenthrin on my own home up around the soffitts where they like to build nests. They also like dark places out of the sun, so you could add more lights at the entrance.
I'm not opposed at all actually. Some folks are very much against it, some don't mind and we have a mixture of both here. Luckily most would not be aware of it, and even if they were it's at my discretion. It's far enough away from the animals that a spray wouldn't travel close enough to harm them.

You basically just spray and apply it and it will hold up outdoors for about a month or so? Also if I do that, do I need to worry about killing what's there already or will it act as both a killer and repellant?

There's an old wives tale that if you paint the ceiling (eves in your case) a light blue color (sky colored) It deters wasps from nesting there. I don't know how effective it is but there ya go.
That would be a great method, unfortunately it wouldn't match the colors here, and they try to stick to a color scheme here.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
I spray my house once when they start going nuts here, which is April, and usually once more around Aug 1. It kills them on contact and then deters them since it lingers on the surface.

A "green" alternative might be garlic/peppermint/rosemary oil sprays, but i don't know specifically how well that does on wasps. Disney uses that instead of pesticides.

OP
DSmits1984

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Thank you, I will get some on my way home today and apply it before the weekend. I'll update this thread in a week or two. Appreciate the feedback greatly.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Wasps are a scavenging pest. If you have things they can eat, they'll come to you. That could be certain plants, but they also really like trash. As with any pest deterrence, eliminating the food source will give you better bang for your effort than any attempt at eradication, but if you're in or near the woods, that may be unrealistic, since their food is everywhere. Still, if you have wasps feeding on trash or plants on your property, start with cleaning that up.

Next, eradicating nests (as per the advice in Riggle's link) is critical, as nearby nests are where the bulk of the wasps live.

Finally, the last step (and what I've found works very well, but requires a long-term concerted effort to get results), you can bait and poison wasps. If done correctly, this will not only kill nests on your property, but will wipe out nests within a wide radius. Take a look at the advice here:
https://beemaniacs.com/knowledge-ba...-jackets-wasps-and-other-honey-bee-predators/

That's based on this study:
https://www.pestboard.ca.gov/howdoi/research/2009_yellowjacket.pdf

The things I see missing in the first set of instructions are that you need to set up these bait stations so that they don't get washed out by rain, and so that they don't attract other pests (in your case, maybe bears?).

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If u want quick knock down use permethrin. Bifenthrin works as well just takes a little longer. Mix the two (well)and bingo you got a good mix and repellent IMO. Keeps mosquitoes away for sure and it will kill wasps, yellow jackets, have not t tried on BFH. The others I can attest to.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
And think about inhospitable surfaces. A slow-drying sticky paint. Sticky fly paper or double stick tape.
Or maybe a fast-drying extra hard and slippery paint. A slippery dry silicone lubricant spray confuses them. Teflon spray? Pam?
Maybe a smooth enamel--and cover with a slick wax.
If you want to mix a bit of insecticide with the wax--why not?
Maybe something long lasting like Fipronil.
As Litman said, Get rid of food sources such as left-over pet food, feces and scraps.

Or maybe a fire ant bait. Placed conveniently close, of course. Ant and Roach bait by "Maxforce" (with fipronil). Keep it away from the dogs, of course.

https://www.domyown.com/maxforce-fc-ant-bait-gel-p-102.html

Last edited: