• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Water Feature Pump Timer

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
Several years ago I had a client ask me if I could put their water feature pump on a timer so that it would come on in the morning when they were lounging in bed and go off at night.
I never followed up with them on how everything worked out with their system; they probably have moved twice and are long gone.
We are just finishing up a bubbling boulder feature and I mentioned to my client the timer idea (not sure why, it just came out in conversation).
The client was interested, as the thought of the pump running while she was asleep using electricity and water didn't make sense in this era.
My question is about pump longevity. Let's imagine a pump is installed and runs nonstop for 5 years, then wears out. If that pump had been on a timer running only say 14 hours a day only when the client can really appreciate it, theoretically it would last 9-10 years.
But perhaps the daily on/off switching of the pump would cause more wear and tear than just letting it run 24/7 365 days a year. Anybody have any real world experience with this?

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm not a big water feature guy, but couldn't there be an issue with stopping a feature then it over flowing and running low on water?

OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not a big water feature guy, but couldn't there be an issue with stopping a feature then it over flowing and running low on water?
Nope. It has an auto refill float valve. Just like a toilet that refills every time it is flushed and stops when it is full.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Just a guess but I'd say it will last longer. You're only turning it on/off twice a day which doesn't seem like a lot.