Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Their Jedi mind tricks would not work on me.
I'd run a hose to my roof to run all day and start watering my driveway as well.
Maybe add a Slip n Slide that's open 24/7 for anyone who wants to use it.

Their attempt at shaming would not have the desired effect.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
How would the water supplier know how much was used if they had a well?
Even so, they would be depleting the water table for others.
Alas, Right you are Ron.

"Well", this comes from me at a time when certain areas/municipal sources locally are prohibited from using " irrigation systems", due to drought

Those who have wells, or are in parts of the area with more robust municipal sources, have green grass.

I'm curious that many of them might gets wells after this? lol

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Wow, 16,000,000 gallons.
We live in the country on a well. I would be intrested to see our usage. Can a person buy a meter to measure gallons of water used?
My rough calculations is we use about 50 gallons per day, flushing toilets, dishwashing, couple loads per week laundry, showers, etc. It's just my wife and I.
So aprox 20,000 gallons per year.
I will even double that for watering flower's, and the occasional washing the car. So around 40,000 maximum. So they use over 400 times our usage. That's a lot of water.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
The top user used over 16 million gallons. That is over 21,000 units (748 gallons) of water. I used 15 - 20 units / month here in the desert. They use 100 times more than I use. Wow! That is an average of 30 gpm 24/7/365.
what is water like where you are?

have you ever been prohibited from watering your lawn?

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
The irony's of water:

If you took the entire surface of the earth, 71% percent of it is, water.

Of the most abundant substance on earth: the more you buy, the more per unit of each you will pay; an inverted bulk discount, if you will.

Scientist proved a law of conservation of matter/energy:

" Copy pasted from google:
What does the law of conservation of matter?
Matter can change form through physical and chemical changes, but through any of these changes matter is conserved. The same amount of matter exists before and after the change—none is created or destroyed. This concept is called the Law of Conservation of Mass.

"
yet: water is proposed as being exempt from this above law.

Humans have successfully "split the atom",
but,
I keep waiting for an 8th grader to come up with a way to separate salt from water.

but none-the-less, the tax money for that R&D was spent on electric car charging stations for the aid of the "masses" :)

*Please forgive this rant: I put an extra scoop of Folgers Columbian in the brewer this AM :coffee:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So they aren't paying for it just like poor people?

I said nothing of the sort, I don’t care how much water they use. The article was about shaming high water users during a water shortage. It’s always ultra weathly who continue to use huge amounts af water. Even if they get fined, they don’t care. Just how it works.

·
Registered
56,633 Posts
At least they're trying the public relations route. If a drought drags on long enough, some homeowners will be unhappily surprised to learn that groundwater belongs to the state.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
At least they're trying the public relations route. If a drought drags on long enough, some homeowners will be unhappily surprised to learn that groundwater belongs to the state.
Your probably right, as in Colorado rain water in some locations is illegal to catch in rain barrels 😳.
So apparently some states claim to own the rain also.
Edit,,,, Colorado only allows 2 rain barrels with total of 110 gallons combined. And can only be used outdoors on property collected.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
Wow, 16,000,000 gallons.
We live in the country on a well. I would be intrested to see our usage. Can a person buy a meter to measure gallons of water used?
My rough calculations is we use about 50 gallons per day, flushing toilets, dishwashing, couple loads per week laundry, showers, etc. It's just my wife and I.
So aprox 20,000 gallons per year.
I will even double that for watering flower's, and the occasional washing the car. So around 40,000 maximum. So they use over 400 times our usage. That's a lot of water.
You never water your lawn?

Water usage is deceiving. It sounds like a lot more than it actually is.

I'll use myself as an example.

I live on 17acres. 2.5acres of that is nice irrigated lawn. In order to keep the lawn green in 90 degree heat and drought like conditions, I need to put down one inch of water per week minimum.

One inch on one acre is roughly 27,000 gallons. So each week I need to put down 27000gal × 2.5 acres. Thats 67, 500 gal.

Four weeks in a month, I'm looking at 270,000 gallons per month.

When you state it as- I need to water one inch each week, it doesn't sound like much does it?

When you state it as, I need to put 270,000 gallons of water on my lawn each month it sounds like a lot doesn't it?

270, 000 x roughly 5 months of summer translates into 1,350,000 gallons per season.

See, its not really that difficult to get into using a million of gallons of water is it?

I feel perfectly fine with my usage as well. Here is why. My property is surrounded by water. I'm on a lake, there is a wetland behind me and another lake behind that. A creek connects the two lakes and runs through my property.
My house is on a deep driven well. The irrigation is on a separate, shallow driven sand point well. The water table is so high I can literally drive a pipe down fifteen feet and hit water anywhere. I have to assume a large percentage of the water used, trickles right back down into the reservoir it came from.
Well water is incredibly cheap. The only cost is running the electric pump. My electric bill goes up roughly $100 month in the summer. I view it as money well spent. Its just so much more enjoyable looking at and walking on, a nice lush lawn than brown and crispy.

There are farmers irrigating their fields nearby, whatever I use is a drop in the bucket compared to that. Pun intended.

Not sure what my point was other than if the water is plentiful, I see no harm in using it. If its scarce than conservation makes sense. Public shaming is a silly tactic in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
You never water your lawn?
Nope, never have never will.
Lived in this house for 32 yrs, 1 acre lawn. It grow and is green every summer. Last year with the drought it was parched and yellow. Eh, it was just fine that color. This year I could mow every 5 days.
I really don't care, its grass. And 6 months of the yr it's under 4 feet of snow. I'd never waste time or money worrying about a lawn. Dirt is good also. I've got 7 acres at my shop, 2 acres of beautiful turf. Never water that either.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
When you state it as- I need to water one inch each week, it doesn't sound like much does it?
Why are you acting like your speaking to a child?

Yes I know exactly what 1 inch of water per acre sounds like.
It's a ridiculous amount just to have a green lawn. Even living on a lake. If 2000 homes are each pulling average of 52,000 gallons per week from lake that's 1.4 million gallons per week, or 447 million gallons per month in 6 months that's 2.68 billion gallons just to water lawns.
During last year's drought lake levels up here dropped by feet. People's docks were becoming dry docks. Mississippi River which is half mile from my house was at record low levels. The Prairie River was showing rocks all the way across it by Hwy 2 which is where I live. So yes drought and excessive consumption can quickly deplete local water supplies.
I mow grass for a living, that's it.
I personally don't care if my lawn is green or brown.
I don't care to have a show lawn.
Not my gig.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts