Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Why are you acting like your speaking to a child?

Yes I know exactly what 1 inch of water per acre sounds like.
It's a ridiculous amount just to have a green lawn. Even living on a lake. If 2000 homes are each pulling average of 52,000 gallons per week from lake that's 1.4 million gallons per week, or 447 million gallons per month in 6 months that's 2.68 billion gallons just to water lawns.
During last year's drought lake levels up here dropped by feet. People's docks were becoming dry docks. Mississippi River which is half mile from my house was at record low levels. The Prairie River was showing rocks all the way across it by Hwy 2 which is where I live. So yes drought and excessive consumption can quickly deplete local water supplies.
I mow grass for a living, that's it.
I personally don't care if my lawn is green or brown.
I don't care to have a show lawn.
Not my gig.
Good morning, hope you have a blessed Sunday sir. It definitely was never my intent to talk to you like a child. Super sorry for accidentally leading you to believe that. You misread my tone, its quite hard to read tone in text sometimes. I know I quoted you, but my post was just a post, for whoever cared to read it, it wasn't really meant to be directed at you necessarily. In retrospect, I could have just posted and not quoted you.
Again my apologies, it was never my intention to upset you or anyone else.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Good morning, hope you have a blessed Sunday sir. It definitely was never my intent to talk to you like a child. Super sorry for accidentally leading you to believe that. You misread my tone, its quite hard to read tone in text sometimes. I know I quoted you, but my post was just a post, for whoever cared to read it, it wasn't really meant to be directed at you necessarily. In retrospect, I could have just posted and not quoted you.
Again my apologies, it was never my intention to upset you or anyone else.
No worries. All cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,073 Posts
speaking of states' water.

has anyone ever heard of Hot Springs Arkansas?

Ive heard people move there for the supposed healing propertys, a storied playground of the 1920 fame and notorious like Capone.

during a visit there, while strolling the tourist main strips i would see locals pull their cars into a parking lot surrounding a large public water fountain appearing structure.

They all had large glass mason jars they would retrieve from their cars backseats or trunks. they would then fill them with this fountain, load it and themselves back into their cars, and take off, back home i suppose.

I thought i would take a swig, but it was too hot.

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Question-

How does the majority of water get into underground reservoirs? From rainfall? If so, how does pumping that water up and watering with it, deplete it? Does not the majority of the water trickle back down into the reservoir it came from? What percentage is lost to evaporation?

·
Super Moderator
4,073 Posts
Question-

How does the majority of water get into underground reservoirs? From rainfall? If so, how does pumping that water up and watering with it, deplete it? Does not the majority of the water trickle back down into the reservoir it came from? What percentage is lost to evaporation?
Correct!

This is the law of conservation of matter.

Perhaps not lost to evaporation.
but,
Changed to vapor, which is still water.
The Water is now gas instead of liquid.

And it will return down to the surface of the earth as rain, probably in Nevada so much that it floods the place....., and then as you correctly mentioned, back into the subsurface reservoirs.

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Correct!

This is the law of conservation of matter.

Perhaps not lost to evaporation.
but,
Changed to vapor, which is still water.
The Water is now gas instead of liquid.

And it will return down to the surface of the earth as rain, probably in Nevada so much that it floods the place....., and then as you correctly mentioned, back into the subsurface reservoirs.
If this is the case, then isn't depleting water sources sort of a myth?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Watering lawns in a drought is idiotic, way beyond just plain old every day stupid. Does not matter if its a private well. When water sources are pumped too low, lots of bad stuff can and will occur. Collapsing feeder veins, introduction of contaminants, permanent sediment clogging. Fertilize, grow. Water, mow, whack and blow. Then complain….But I pay for the water. There ain’t enough money in the world to pay for stupid.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No, the law of conservation of matter doesn't state it stays where it's needed. Part of the problem is, there has been a lot of infrastructure that needs water built in areas that have very little. It's all fun and games, until there's no water. Then we get to fight about it. One guy brushes his teeth with toilet water and the next guy uses 16,000,000 gallons to water their palacial estate. Once the water wars really start, desalination will be worth the investment, and we will just use ocean water.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
No, the law of conservation of matter doesn't state it stays where it's needed. Part of the problem is, there has been a lot of infrastructure that needs water built in areas that have very little. It's all fun and games, until there's no water. Then we get to fight about it. One guy brushes his teeth with toilet water and the next guy uses 16,000,000 gallons to water their palacial estate. Once the water wars really start, desalination will be worth the investment, and we will just use ocean water.
Everything is local when it comes to water usage. The guy watering his lawn in New York has nothing to do with the guy brushing his teeth in LA. But some aquifers can stretch for hundreds of miles
underground and are recharging in areas far from where they are being used. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts