1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Isn’t there some OSHA requirement about cold water available for outdoor work? I seem to have something about that in the back of my mind.

Anyway a few bucks a day or getting another ice maker for ice is cheaper than the impromptu breaks or moving a little slower guys would need from being overheated and under hydrated.

As far as what the guys think about ice, what they did in response to not having an ice maker tells you all you need to know. I think you know what happens if you take that away.

As some further advice, sometimes the big picture far outweighs the laser focus on every nickel and dime. To be successful, you need to see both.

2. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I see big round Igloo water jugs/cooler strapped onto trailers and trucks all around my town. Used by city workers, landscapers and such.

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm LawnSite Member

i would remove the co charge cards, provide fuel only cards.. provide ice and water at the shop, ask if they would like water coolers attached to their trucks

Mark Oomkes and Tara Ann like this.
  4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

$720 a year is not a big expense at all..While you're at it....disconnect the AC in the trucks...you'll save a few bucks a year in gas! Heck just take the water away too....

You'd save that in labor by designating a crew leader to pick up ice on their way in each morning instead of having 5 guys sitting around doing it...or use hte milk jug idea....what I do is freeze two butter bowls full of water and dump them in the water cooler.

These guys work hard each day....they work for you to make money....they kind of deserve cold water.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

If you're concerned about the money set up an icemaker at home and prep a cooler and water jug for each truck before coming in. No guys at the gas station in the morning.

JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No business owner cares about osha until they get a couple million in fines.

OSHA would have a heart attack in some of the shops I worked at

7. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

i know a tree service owner did this. But he just opened the hood on his chip truck and cut the low pressure line. He showed up and found all his guys in the cab idling mid day with limbs all over the yard and the chipper running.

Cedar Knoll Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I've never heard of ice being supplied anywhere but we don't get temps much higher than 90 in the summer, so the idea of employees buying on company cards sounds crazy to me.

9. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

Can’t you just buy a used fridge with an ice maker for a couple hundred bucks. I myself have a yeti cooler that can fit 10lba of their cold pack things and those last several days alomg with ice from my fridge.

knox gsl likes this.
  10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

The OP Went from a shop to storage so no power is possible. It could have power. I hate warm drinks and I make sure to keep a cold cooler of water for a helper or a sub. I would appreciate the same if I’m working for you. A lot of ppl like warm drinks in fall/winter so that’s another thing to keep in mind

Breezmeister and hort101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.