1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

If you let the hose run for a few seconds it's usually cold enough for drinking around here. Even then I can't always promise employees they will have access to a hose.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hose water tastes nasty to me and I taste the chemicals it’s made of or rubber etc. imho

I can taste the difference between “tap” water and bottles, at least where I am.

Charles and hort101 like this.
  3. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Maybe it’s my self-sufficient mind set, but if I took a job working outdoors, I would take care of things I need, like water, myself and not certainly expect my employer to offer them. Even when I worked at the prep school and things were provided, I brought my own stuff like safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, etc. because the employer provided items were crap. Yes there was water on campus, but it was not like our boss filled a cooler every day and brought it out to the maintence shed for us. We wanted it, we had to get it. And if we didn’t have water, I know damn well the 5 gallon cooler I have on my trailer now would have been filled and taken to work each day with me. I don’t understand why they all don’t just bring their own water in a cooler? How hard is that? Go to the store, buy a cooler, fill it with water, bring it to work with you along with with your lunch each day.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Todd where are they going to put this cooler? I mean if you have more than one worker. A truck full of coolers?
    I agree hose water taste nasty . Ok when you were kids. Would make me sick now
    You have to make sure the employees are hydrated and don't over heat. Reasonable to provide ice water for them

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

Just take the ice away and make em drink hot water and after about a week you would lose and employee or 2 and then start buying ice again off of the money you save not paying a couple employees. Seriously tho im providing a 60 quart cooler full of ice and water everyday. Get a good cooler keep it chilled and put ice in by the bag not loose and it will last at least 2 days or more. There are other ways to cut costs than taking away cold water to employees who are making you money in the summer heat.

wishfull and hort101 like this.
  6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

May already have been mentioned... Keep the receipts and write it off. I fill up the coolers, wash them out on a reg basis, ice every day in the summer at least. Runs me couple hundred a year. Thought about an ice machine but the ones I saw that were worth a darn were close to 2g. Breakeven for me just ain't worth it.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get a used one.....companies that repair appliances in resturants have a lot of used stuff.

Breezmeister and hort101 like this.
  8. Rockwell Landscape Maint.

Rockwell Landscape Maint. LawnSite Member

I used to give my guys money for ice(we're in Phoenix). But that money adds up. I recently bought an ice maker and it makes life so much easier. They fill up every morning, ice and spigot water(when you're thirsty, purified bullshit doesn't matter). I don't have to remember to leave cash and they don't waste time stopping for ice.

Mark Oomkes and Breezmeister like this.
  9. Where the Pavement Ends

Where the Pavement Ends LawnSite Member

Get the ice machine...

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Only down side is the ice machine gives off a lot of heat....not so good in summer...ours in air conditioned room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.