1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

hard to believe that an employee who wants to be a landscaper can not buy an $8.00 jug an bring his own water to work

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Whats with the concern for ice?
    For 5000 years humans did not have ice to chill their water. Only in the past 75ish years has ice been readly available.
    Water hydrates all by it self. Nothing wrong with drinking 90º water. Or 32º water. Temp is totally irrelevant.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Along with being late for work and taking days off at random and using cell mphone while trimming...etc

Mark Oomkes and MowDaddy like this.
  4. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Here that but would like to have a cell phone mount for the Z.

5. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

I will have to dbl check, but seems to me, my new mower has usb charge port.

That Guy Gary, hort101 and Bumpmaster like this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Weather matters too, the guys doing physical labor in the 90-100+ weather should be drinking over a gallon a day.

When you deal with that for months on end a 5 gallon cooler with fresh water for 3 man+ crews just becomes logistically smart.

A good solo guy is different. If he forgets his drinks he'll stop at the gas station and take a short lunch. :laugh:

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Another option for ice is your local ice company. Every company has a different minimum, but call around for pricing on ice deliveries to the shop, preferably outside with electric if you have it available. They will come put an outdoor freezer in place, stock it with ice, and refill it as needed. Just put a padlock on it and give a key to the crew leaders. You don't need to worry about water supply, contamination, bacteria growing in the ice machine, or the time wasted at the gas station. Probably wouldn't be feasible if this is just one of those self storage places, but if it's just a garage you are renting it may work.

zlandman, Mark Stark and Bumpmaster like this.
  8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Silver Member

if i saw somebody using cell phone while trimming i might faint of shock :laugh:

9. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Ice cools the mind and body down? Prevent heat stroke? Pretty sure people on the old days suffered from heat strokes too.
    When water gets hot in my truck it taste nasty. I make sure my large thermos is full of ice. I have another thermos fully of water in case I run out of water in the ice thermos. Usually get more ice when I go to a fast food place

hort101 likes this.
  10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

Best way to kill employee moral is to take away one of the few perks they are used to. scientifically- warm water is better to hydrate with on a hot day. But cold water “feels” better . I’m solo so I just freeze a half full water bottle - then keep a gallon or large bottle and refill the ice bottle throughout the day. Then u can have ice cold water all day w no cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.