1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Our guys really dig having cold ice water provided for them every single day. Do not look at the amount of money you are paying for the ice as a cost, but look at it as an investment into your employees...worth it.

snomaha, iand, Burnie and 5 others like this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Can you get an Ice vendor/maker to deliver the Ice to you?

Or how about this:
    https://www.icehouseamerica.com
    Work out a deal with the storage company and don't charge your employees.

snomaha and Tara Ann like this.
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

I imagine this conversation at work. Boss I want some ice.. I don’t think he would even respond to me...

Bumpmaster likes this.
  4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Or he would tell you to wait for January.

We don't do it, but once it is started you can't take it away, without consequences. It's cheaper than replacing disgruntled employees.

5. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know of a guy in town that stocks his trucks with gatorade and beef jerky, seeds etc. The best refreshments. He lets his employees take from the coolers but it is deducted out of their paycheck. Not sure what he charges them but he brags about how he makes an extra $100 or so a week because the lawn jockeys are stupid enough to pay more than face value because of instant gratification.. Kinda messed up in my opinion but they keep going for it nonetheless

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

How many guys are we talking about?

If it's two that's messed up.

If it's twenty and he's just rounding up everything to the nearest dollar he might actually be providing a valuable service.

Growing up my family had a few fab shops, we had companies leave bins with snacks for sale on an honor system.

He's going to Costco to drop a few hundred on drinks and snacks really cheap and his guys aren't stopping at the gas station in the morning to buy them.

How does he track who takes what though?

7. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

He has a like 5 or 6 guys I think. I didn’t think, he probably factors the money/ time saved by not having them stop at gas stations since he has the food/ drink already there. Maybe it isn’t that messed up lol

hort101 likes this.
  8. HawkeyeLawnCare

HawkeyeLawnCare LawnSite Member

We provide our guys with water and Gatorade and also have a ice machine for them. We look at it as a cheap morale booster and a lot cheaper than a workers comp claim due to a heat stroke. Now it cost us up front but it has paid dividends in long run with employee retention.

9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I'm starting to think people who have an issue with punctuality could try using perks like this to get people to work on time.

10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I know some union guys that are required to be provided chilled water by their contract. The employer has a full size chest freezer inside. Ice company comes and fills it every couple months. It's cheap, like $120/refill and the ice guy fills it.

Way back when I worked on an install crew I took a gallon size water cooler for myself every day. The employer provided a cooler with cans of Pepsi, but I couldn't drink that junk in the heat.

Now I'm solo I stop at a station and buy cold powerade or take it from home and also have a case of warm water in the truck.

hort101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.