Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Its what we do - local ice company supplied us with a large commercial freezer and they fill it once a week in season. Block and cubed ice for any employee to use. Good benefit to the employees for what equates to a rounding error in our overall budget.

Don't mind having the cube ice for a Friday afternoon cocktail either - ;)

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm LawnSite Member

put it on the porch

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of that.

4. Mark Oomkes

Nothing better than cold, well water from a garden hose.

OK, an ice cold beer would be, but we're at work.

I hate bottled water. Also hate muni water, I can smell the chlorine before it goes down my throat.

5. Mark Oomkes

Ice water can send someone into shock if they're suffering from heat exhaustion\stroke.

6. Mark Oomkes

We've had an ice maker. We've bought ice for everyone. The crews got away from it. I would rather supply it.

Get a 3 or 5 gallon cooler, fill it with ice and top off with water. It will last a 2 person crew around 3 days. The ice will last that long as well.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Well by then you need to be in the hospital. Never mind the ice water. You drink ice water to prevent. I drink ice water after every task whether I am thirsty or not

8. Mark Oomkes

You're right, but ice water can make it worse. That was my point.

Charles likes this.
  9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I was just reading a very long training study for army/marine desert operations and water usage.
    Here is the defining paragraph on best temp for drinking water.

[ Water tastes best, and it is easier to drink large quantities of it, if it is between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. There are three ways to avoid the problems of drinking hot water:

• Drink it before it gets hot.
    • Keep it in a cool place or in the shade.
    • Cool it to a palatable temperature.
    Drinking water before a period of heavy work or before leaving the unit area on a mission gets valuable water into the body before the water has a chance to heat up. It also provides an additional reserve of water that is easy to carry.]

Reference: https://www.armystudyguide.com/cont...rt_operations/water-usage-in-desert-ope.shtml

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Doc8406 and hal like this.
  10. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

I buy tons of Power-aid when it is on sale. There are only 2 of us, but I purchase over 100 gallons a year, Yes Really, and the company pays for it. Heat in Florida is bad, and you NEED to stay hydrated. It is Worth the investment. IMHO

That Guy Gary likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.