Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeZBOG

JakeZBOG LawnSite Member

Don’t be cheap with good help that makes you money!

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Who you sayin is cheap :)
    Has nothing to do with money, these are grown adults. They can fill a water jug just as easy as me.

3. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Agree. I remember working some sort of construction earlier in my life. There was usually a 5 gallon orange jug with ice water, but that was more backup or a quick drink to supplement. Brought my own lunch...brought my own drinks.....only hit the supplied water on unusually hot days, or hot days that something went wrong and you had to bust butt a little harder than usual.....It was just unspoken word back then that if you have a job where you sweat a lot, then you take a lot to drink.

Too much darn hand holding nowadays.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  4. JakeZBOG

JakeZBOG LawnSite Member

well you sound cheap? You can rake leaves, pull weeds and trim bushes yourself yet you hire people to do that! Happycrew creats a succeful boss! I buy lunch everyday and fill the cooler daily.

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Well I would hope so. Your bio says your solo.

JMK26 likes this.
  6. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

To be honest I think it's a fine line....Part of me is like my post above....each year society gets more dependent on others to support them....schools now serve breakfast....didn't when I went, serve after school snacks...never did that either back in the day....

Now work is supposed to supply lunch and drinks?

Seriously what happened to taking care of yourself? Being self sufficient? Like I said when I worked for someone else in a trade....I would wake up..."Oh, gonna be a hot one today, better pack more water and fruit in the lunch box" ....

On the other hand I see supplying something like what I mentioned...a backup....or something to supplement what employees should bring themselves. WIth an occasional perk of showing up with Gatorade or something...

Butter bowls filled with water and frozen overnight make great ice blocks in the water jugs....keep things cold all day, and holds more water that way as well. Almost every job that was work outside did this. Small outfits (i'm talking trades, not just lawn care) had some sort of garage fridge with a freezer, larger outfits had the same, even in a break room....want cold wather the next day? You filled a butter bowl or more up with water after dumping the ice block in the water jug in the morning....

The problem with supplying drink and lunch every day is the employees now hold you hostage....it becomes a requirement instead of an occasional perk. It means nothing because it is expected. It goes from "Man, what a great boss, he buys us lunch and drinks once in awhile...he really appreciates us" to "What a jerk boss, he didn't buy lunch today."

Times are a changing...used to have grown men at 16, now we have boys at age 30+.....

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Can't point many fingers on a one man crew.

8. azlandshapes

azlandshapes LawnSite Member

Supply the ice at the yard and fill up a 5 gallon water cooler. No bottled water on my dime but ice is cheap. 5gallon water jugs all the way.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Different work ethic. Almost have to kiss their butts to keep them around now.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Can't kiss butt though or you'll be brought up on charges.

knox gsl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.