Water & ice for employees?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Gundog100, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azlandshapes

azlandshapes LawnSite Member

Az is a **** show when it comes to employees. I offer $100 to employees who bring a guy in that stays 3 mos. only one a year get paid out because the dudes fail to perform on the most basic levels. Show up w/in 15 mins of start time, load the punch list, report work performed, call in when not coming, don’t leave tools behind etc. sad scenario these days.

hort101 and ed2hess like this.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

There's no way I would supply bottled water. Ice and water in a jug, sure. Even better if they bring their own but well water is basically free and 2 bags of ice in a 5 gallon jug will last a solid 3 days even in 90°+.

No way I'd buy lunch every day either. I can't/won't afford to eat out every day.

Charles likes this.
  3. azlandshapes

Lunch!!! Wtf is this google?

Mark Stark and Mark Oomkes like this.
  4. biodale

biodale LawnSite Member

OSHA requires. cool water available. I have a freezer for ice and a jug available. The guys never use it. They bring their own. But I’ve been inspected by WISHA. (Washington state OSHA). Do you want a big fine. Don't supply water. Write a big check to pay the fine. Why would you want to risk making someone sick or killing them with heat stroke

hort101 and Charles like this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

OSHA says nothing about cool water being available. Potable water yes, but not cool.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rather work for an employer who thinks he needs to provide cool water than one who doesn't think he needs to provide it at all.

ed2hess likes this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

I'm not making any judgments on that, just pointing out that 2 people have posted that OSHA requires employers to provide cool or cold water. That is wrong.

I've provided bagged ice as well as an ice maker, employees stopped using it and were bringing their own. I'll gladly do it again if they ask.

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  8. NatesLawnCareLLC

NatesLawnCareLLC LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I bought "2 gallon" water coolers for everyone and said they could keep them. Use them for water, Gatorade or whatever they bring them everyday and love them because they keep the drink SUPER cold even on the hottest days.

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Gundog100

Gundog100 LawnSite Member

This post seems to have caused a lot of disagreements, I solved this by purchasing a small used chest freezer for $30 last year.
    We keep half the bottles in the freezer and half in storage, when you throw them all in the cooler the frozen ones melt and the warm ones cool down so it works really well.
    My problem was never particularly the $2 per day spent on ice ($500 a year) it was also the wasted time of 3 men going to the gas station every day to buy it, 10 mins per day x 3 men, 2.5 man hrs per week

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. azlandshapes

Yup I provide those orange coolers you can buy at Home Depot for 20 some odd bucks. If the temperature is under 100 a bag of ice to last you two days. Employing people to work in the desert I have to provide some sort of water and frankly it should be cool. It’s hard enough to expect people to keep moving when the temperature is 103° no friggin lunch A couple of days a week I’ll show at the job site with oranges and bananas but that’s as far as it goes in anyone to expect that to happen daily after day is sorely going to be surprised

zlandman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.