water stains on wood fence

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Not sure if this is the right forum, but customer has a wooden privacy fence around their yard, and grass right up to the fence, and of course the sprinklers are discoloring the wood. Common problem I'm sure, but what do you do about it?

2. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Get some deck wash sray of fence and the power was of should work.

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Clean it like mentioned before, then stain or seal it. They would have to reseal or stain ever few years. It also will increase the life of the fence by a few years.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How about also fixing the sprinklers so the fence isn't getting sprayed. :dizzy:

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

But if you don't water the fence it won't grow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, but if you let it grow, you've got to keep trimming it. And my dealer keeps trying to sell me hedge trimmers when I'm trying to buy a fence trimmer.

7. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Use deck brightener chemicals to strip the outer surface of the fence lumber. This is the same stuff you use before you refinish deck surfaces. The cheapest alternative is to get the deck brightener in powder form, mix as per instructions. Wet the fence down well, then apply the brightener solution through a cheap pump type sprayer. This will bubble up the grey & stained appearance about like oven cleaner. You can then strip the lifted residue with a pressure washer turned wayyyyyy down with a broad spray head. Dont get too carried away or put the spray tip too close to the lumber. You dont want to gouge the lumber, just spray away the loosened deposits. I would then go with a quality stain/sealer and reseal every couple years. Sometimes fences get H20 stains, despite the sprinkler heads being aimed correctly(wind drift). Good luck w/ your project.