1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

water trailer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hoyboy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Need some help here...

I had a trailer company build a custom tank trailer...it has a 1600 gallon water tank mounted to a heavy duty dually trailer (16000 lb gvw) and a 5.5 hp honda pump. A 2" hose connects the tank to the pump. That's all fine.

What I had wanted was a variety of hose couplings coming off the pump so that I could use it for a variety of purposes. I had envisioned a "panel" that I could attach a couple different garden hoses, a couple 1" attachments for medium duty watering, and a 2" for heavy duty watering. What I got is just a single 2" hose coming off the pump itself.

Rather than arguing about it, I'm just going to take delivery and try getting this plumbed myself. I have no experience with this and was wondering if anyone has something like this, or knows if there is a ready made system I can purchase somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you doing starting your own fire company?:) Try www.Agri-Supply.com i bought some fittings from them when i bought my hydro seeder, they are reasonible.
    Mike

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

A trip to a hardware store for some fittings, ball valves.

4. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I use mine all the time and use my firemans hose to water alot of plants and new sod. And I also have the adapter for using garden hoses. I got all of my fittings from Home Depot. just try to stay away from pvc fittings as they are a pain.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dan, I'm picturing a manifold assembled out of 2" galvinized piping.

It would probably be a few 2" crosses and tee's, you could mount it nicely to the trailer. Put 3-4 regular hose bib connections on it, and a 2" ball valve coming off the end if you did want to run a 2" hose.

ftw.GIF

6. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Jon - yea, I think that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Not sure how the ball couplers fit to the 2" source....are there ball couplers accepting a 2" feed coming out to a 1" (or 5/8, or 1.5", etc.) outlet?

Thanks for the help..

Dan

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

also remember that 3/4 pipe threads are not the same as a garden hose. The are tapered. you will need an adapter to hook the garden hose, available at all the local bix box stores. Brass 3/4 npt / 3/4 garden hose fitting (close nipple)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dan, you'll want to pick up a 2" x 3/4" reducer bushing for each of the hose bib outlets, and then something like a bent nose boiler drain valve (kinda like a kinked faucet, I think the angle would make the handle easier to turn in this situation).

Pictures:

Reducer Bushing:

[​IMG]

Boiler Drain/Hose Bib:

[​IMG]