1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

watering policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my lawn mowing contracts are currently 3 pages long. just when you think u have covered everything, you find out you're wrong. i imagine by next season, they will be 6-7 pages long. the matter at hand- WATERING. last friday, we had a 10 hr downpour. we got probably 4" of rain. then, during the week, we had a couple of short, but very heavy rains. i have people that still water thier grass when it rains. i also have people who don't follow my watering reccomendations. i just dumped a guy last week, i've told him repeatedly how I WANT IT WATERED. he don't listen. his neighbor told me he waters 3 times a day. this is sick. the lawn is like a sponge, nutsedge and weeds everywhere in the lawn and beds. i'm leaving ruts. gone, no mas, done. it's hard enough to deal with the elements, and now i have customers watering 3 times a day, while i battle thier weeds and nutsedge. nah. todays events- i pulled up at a customers house at 9 am. it was obvious the sprinklers just went off. the yard was soaked. i said screw it, i put the encore in 5th, and went on a sliegh ride. rutted the hell out of the lawn, left a 15 ft skid mark in the back, tore 2 chunks out of the front, and, wiped out the kids swingset. trying to turn easy enough around the swingset, i slid, hit the side of the old wooden swingset, and down it went. the guy came out upset. i aint paying for nothing, and in fact, may send a bill for having to clean the wet grass off my mower. next year this will be adressed in the contract. #1- YOU MUST FOLLOW MY WATERING INSTRUCTIONS. #2- IF YOU DON'T, I PULL UP AND IT'S WET, I STILL GET PAID, but i don't cut, at my discretion.#3-i will not be responsible for damage to your property as the result of improper watering. #4- if i have to cut it twice cus it's wet, you pay double, 3 times=tripple. #5- if i have to clean the mower, cus your grass was wet, you pay extra. i'm sick and tired, of being sick and tired. does anyone have a policy on how thier clients must water?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I can't imagine booby why people don't get along better with you.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Welcome back WHINYBOY :cry: :cry: :cry:

4. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

He's at it again :D

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't force them to water, but i understand your frustation.

6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

youve got to be kidding? :cry:

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I posted the same topic a month or so back... most responses I got were that I should not care what the lawn looks like when I'm done and just mow after the sprinklers or even while they are on.

I still have 2 customers, that after having been told, asked, sent letters, and left notices on the door, their lawns still get watered 7 days a week. I give up, I just let the ruts happen. If they don't give a $&@! then neither do I.

I have another that asks me for advice on programming their controler (2 homes). I advise to the number of days per week and duration taking into account the heat. Do they listen? NO. They ask me for the advice and even 2 weeks later the lawns are burned up in places and swampy in others.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I was begining to worry about you. It's good to see you back at it again. As far as your watering problem goes I would politly tell the customer that they need a rain sensor on their irrigation system.

9. Xantar

Xantar LawnSite Member

You actually make a living????????????????????????????? Destroying a customers lawn, and his kids swingset because you were mad that the lawn was wet.. Good business tactics. I wish all the competition in my area did things like that.

10. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

wow I'm can't hardly type for the tears falling on my key board! :cry: down here in gods country I don't have that problem seams that southern folks are smart enough to shut off there sprinklers when it raining or forecast to rain . good luck with the 6-7 page contract sounds like your cust my need a more powerfull shredder :cool:

kellroy