Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lawn mowing contracts are currently 3 pages long. just when you think u have covered everything, you find out you're wrong. i imagine by next season, they will be 6-7 pages long. the matter at hand- WATERING. last friday, we had a 10 hr downpour. we got probably 4" of rain. then, during the week, we had a couple of short, but very heavy rains. i have people that still water thier grass when it rains. i also have people who don't follow my watering reccomendations. i just dumped a guy last week, i've told him repeatedly how I WANT IT WATERED. he don't listen. his neighbor told me he waters 3 times a day. this is sick. the lawn is like a sponge, nutsedge and weeds everywhere in the lawn and beds. i'm leaving ruts. gone, no mas, done. it's hard enough to deal with the elements, and now i have customers watering 3 times a day, while i battle thier weeds and nutsedge. nah. todays events- i pulled up at a customers house at 9 am. it was obvious the sprinklers just went off. the yard was soaked. i said screw it, i put the encore in 5th, and went on a sliegh ride. rutted the hell out of the lawn, left a 15 ft skid mark in the back, tore 2 chunks out of the front, and, wiped out the kids swingset. trying to turn easy enough around the swingset, i slid, hit the side of the old wooden swingset, and down it went. the guy came out upset. i aint paying for nothing, and in fact, may send a bill for having to clean the wet grass off my mower. next year this will be adressed in the contract. #1- YOU MUST FOLLOW MY WATERING INSTRUCTIONS. #2- IF YOU DON'T, I PULL UP AND IT'S WET, I STILL GET PAID, but i don't cut, at my discretion.#3-i will not be responsible for damage to your property as the result of improper watering. #4- if i have to cut it twice cus it's wet, you pay double, 3 times=tripple. #5- if i have to clean the mower, cus your grass was wet, you pay extra. i'm sick and tired, of being sick and tired. does anyone have a policy on how thier clients must water?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
bobbygedd said:
my lawn mowing contracts are currently 3 pages long. just when you think u have covered everything, you find out you're wrong. i imagine by next season, they will be 6-7 pages long. the matter at hand- WATERING. last friday, we had a 10 hr downpour. we got probably 4" of rain. then, during the week, we had a couple of short, but very heavy rains. i have people that still water thier grass when it rains. i also have people who don't follow my watering reccomendations. i just dumped a guy last week, i've told him repeatedly how I WANT IT WATERED. he don't listen. his neighbor told me he waters 3 times a day. this is sick. the lawn is like a sponge, nutsedge and weeds everywhere in the lawn and beds. i'm leaving ruts. gone, no mas, done. it's hard enough to deal with the elements, and now i have customers watering 3 times a day, while i battle thier weeds and nutsedge. nah. todays events- i pulled up at a customers house at 9 am. it was obvious the sprinklers just went off. the yard was soaked. i said screw it, i put the encore in 5th, and went on a sliegh ride. rutted the hell out of the lawn, left a 15 ft skid mark in the back, tore 2 chunks out of the front, and, wiped out the kids swingset. trying to turn easy enough around the swingset, i slid, hit the side of the old wooden swingset, and down it went. the guy came out upset. i aint paying for nothing, and in fact, may send a bill for having to clean the wet grass off my mower. next year this will be adressed in the contract. #1- YOU MUST FOLLOW MY WATERING INSTRUCTIONS. #2- IF YOU DON'T, I PULL UP AND IT'S WET, I STILL GET PAID, but i don't cut, at my discretion.#3-i will not be responsible for damage to your property as the result of improper watering. #4- if i have to cut it twice cus it's wet, you pay double, 3 times=tripple. #5- if i have to clean the mower, cus your grass was wet, you pay extra. i'm sick and tired, of being sick and tired. does anyone have a policy on how thier clients must water?
Welcome back WHINYBOY :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I posted the same topic a month or so back... most responses I got were that I should not care what the lawn looks like when I'm done and just mow after the sprinklers or even while they are on.

I still have 2 customers, that after having been told, asked, sent letters, and left notices on the door, their lawns still get watered 7 days a week. I give up, I just let the ruts happen. If they don't give a $&@! then neither do I.

I have another that asks me for advice on programming their controler (2 homes). I advise to the number of days per week and duration taking into account the heat. Do they listen? NO. They ask me for the advice and even 2 weeks later the lawns are burned up in places and swampy in others.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bobby, I was begining to worry about you. It's good to see you back at it again. As far as your watering problem goes I would politly tell the customer that they need a rain sensor on their irrigation system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You actually make a living????????????????????????????? Destroying a customers lawn, and his kids swingset because you were mad that the lawn was wet.. Good business tactics. I wish all the competition in my area did things like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow I'm can't hardly type for the tears falling on my key board! :cry: down here in gods country I don't have that problem seams that southern folks are smart enough to shut off there sprinklers when it raining or forecast to rain . good luck with the 6-7 page contract sounds like your cust my need a more powerfull shredder :cool:

kellroy

·
Registered
394 Posts
You seem to be forgetting one thing. It is HIS lawn and you are the scrub mowing it. He can water it whenever and however long he wants. If you don't want to mow it cancel him.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
omg ... heh

1) When I get to where I am so angry because I can't take one my customer's bs no more, I pack up and leave: The end.
No I do NOT cut their grass, I am gone brother.

See, here's the thing: Anger clouds your judgement and this is a serious problem, you are like a drunk when you are angry. No I am NOT saying go get drunk but I am saying anger impairs you to that same degree.

The reason for leaving is simple: My anger starts to subside and it lingers for a bit but it doesn't fester and get worse while I'm working on someone's yard. Furthermore, I do not ruin someone's property because if a customer were to get real nasty, they call the police and file criminal charges of Vandalism.

2) The number ONE reason (and I have to remember this a LOT myself) customers hire me is because they are not all hip and up on this lawn stuff. They hire an expert but since it is expensive, they want to help to keep the cost down... More than one of my customers works against my best efforts with the sprinkler system, too.

I find the following effective:
Talk to the customer and ask how long AND how often they are running the sprinklers. In most cases, I find they ALL run it for 20 minutes, the only difference is how many times/week (some daily, some every 2-3 days, others twice/week, whatever). So now what I do is suggest to them this bs:
- Double the exposure time while you less-than-half the frequency.
So for example they water daily for 20 minutes, the solution goes:
Water for 40 minutes every 3 days.
Should they water every 2 days for 20, now water every 5 days for 40.
What this does:
- The double-time exposure gives the water better, deeper soil penetration to help prevent drawing grass roots towards the surface. This not only feeds the lawn better but also helps keep it from burning under a hot sun.
- It saves water: Even thou they double the exposure, cutting the frequency to under half uses only about 2/3rd's or 4/5th's (in the long run) while the double exposure makes up for the savings. Of course in times of prolonged drought, this helps delay the laws that eventually make it illegal for you to water your lawn or wash your car (but that's add-lib crap, not really necessary).

Does it work? Hell yeah this works because they save money while improving their lawn - You can't go wrong.

And last but not least: I've just cut down their watering habit some :)

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
There is one other thing:

Muddy yards are one of the big reasons why I switched from a float-deck 500-pound behemoth to an ultra-light, 300lb. fixed deck.
Forget sprinkler systems for a minute, weather is just as capricious and can mud-field all your base for weeks on end: I know my customers don't want ruts in their yard and I also know how tough it is with self-propelled, heavy machinery to try and avoid this: A light, easy touch usually does the trick and also, step your heavy azz off the machine and walk her over the soft spots.

man, u so uptight yo ... glad to see you thou :p

·
Registered
394 Posts
Watering deeper and less frequently is good advice but unless you have a seriously deficient irrigation system I would never tell anyone to water for 40 minutes per zone. If your desire is to soak the top 15 inches of soil maybe but just a waste of water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Include in the contract that you will control the watering schedule. Where they don't have a sprinkler system, you can install one. If they already have a system but it doesn't include a rain sensor, you upgrade it. You handle the programming of the system and your problem is solved. Just like selling them the fert and spray programs.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lake Claire Lawn Ranger said:
Include in the contract that you will control the watering schedule. Where they don't have a sprinkler system, you can install one. If they already have a system but it doesn't include a rain sensor, you upgrade it. You handle the programming of the system and your problem is solved. Just like selling them the fert and spray programs.
yes, great idea, except one thing, THEY DON'T LISTEN! i'm tired of beating my head against the wall. they do as i say, or pay the extra accordingly, or they get dumped.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Jason Rose said:
I posted the same topic a month or so back...

I still have 2 customers, that after having been told, asked, sent letters, and left notices on the door, their lawns still get watered 7 days a week. I give up, I just let the ruts happen. If they don't give a $&@! then neither do I.
Anonymously call the water department or the county ag extension or who ever controls crap like that.

They will usually Lean rather heavily on 7 day per week waterers. Well at least here they do. Hell we have commercials on TV telling us TWO days is the limit. But we still have people watering at high noon 7 days a week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.