1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to keep workers quality up

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ticolawnllc, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I have had a very hard time the last few years keeping quality in my lawn mowing up. I’ve had drivers come and go. Unless I’m there, I feel like the quality plummets or production falls. I can’t be a every job all the time. Other than showing up randomly what can be done.

I can’t get past two crews. Really it’s like 1 and a half. Personnel is a huge problem. Nothing new to everyone here. I don’t want to become a tyrant. I feel like being pissed off about the quality is the one way they get the message?

2. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dock their pay if they aren’t doing the job properly/ up to your standards. Make them go back and fix it. Or just fire them. Double check your states laws on docking the pay though, you can’t just decide not to pay them for the day. Needs to be more of a demotion kind of deal

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Easy...don't have any, problem solved! I use to have 3 landscape/mowing crews, got rid of them all. Made the route insanely tight, dropped any one who pays even 1 day late, or who I didn't like, or their property, or whatever reason. Then I raised our prices to the very top end, guess what? Wife and I make about double the income now and it's so much less stressful and honestly less work. Until you hit the 1 mil point it makes no financial sense to have employees and will be extremely stressful. Employees drove my brother out of business, he was a $500k company, couldn't take how much work it was managing every one.

4. Gatewayuser

I should add. Most people in our industry seem to view success by how many you employ or how nice/new your stuff is. I fell in to that trap years ago too until I finally saw the light. Clients are much happier now too and unless some one dies or moves we get 100% renewal.

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

Pay them more then you can afford. Then put pressure on them that if quality doesn't change they will be looking for a new job. They either will do better or be jobless!

Cam15, rclawn and AlohaMowing like this.
  6. Gatewayuser

I was paying $20 per hour and still couldn't find good employees.

Cam15 and Ticolawnllc like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Same here. My last guy was a good worker but had health issues. Then he started trying to run over the weed whacker guy. Lol watch the toes.

8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Cant do that.

What's definded as "up to my standards" was it clearly written and defined, agreed upon?

Cant just dock them for bad work.
    They did a job, they get paid....law.

Cam15, JLSLLC and Ticolawnllc like this.
  9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

No form of pay docking is legal without their written consent

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male