• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

WB Question

GBoyd

LawnSite Member
Hello all,

I have been lurking around this forum trying to glean any information I can about a 32 or 36" walk behind. I am not in the landscaping business but I do have a difficult yard to mow.

I have burmuda on 75% of my yard but it is on a pretty steep hillside. So steep you must mow it left to right vs up and down. Another area of my yard is fescue and it is even a little bit steeper that the burmuda area. (I wear Golf shoes to mow this)
Still another area is a very large area that has a utility easment on it and the terrain is not smooth at all. I do not wish to mow this every week but I would like to "knock it down" every so often.

I have mowed this myself for a few years... I went through several small walk behinds but the transmissions always failed.. Toro, Sears and others.. I finally found a commercial Lawnboy that has done a great job and held up well. It was very expensive for a 21" cut but it is the only thing that has worked.(Like $700.00)

Last year I was so busy travelling that I hired a company to mow it... he used an Exmark ZTR and while it mowed it he made ruts in the yard. I had another guys mow it and he used some kind of an old 48" walk behind and it actually did pretty well but I watched him "fight it" on the hillside.

I have decided to purchase a commercial grade walk behind myself... I am looking at either a 32 or 36" cut since I do not do it for a living I dont want to spend a fortune on this.

From what I have read on here it looks like I need a dual Hydro system so I am not "fighting" the weight of the mower on the side hills. From the research I have done the Quick 32 or 36 looks like what I need. Before I pull the trigger on this I would like to ask... am I missing anything.. Should I be looking at other models or features based on the description of my property above?

I chose the small size also because they all have the same engine and I would think in the taller grass the small cut width would have an advantage... NO- YES?

Sorry to be so long...

Regards,
Greg

Last edited:

SchnabelLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Scag WB's are tanks. I've never used a BOP Quick mower, but I've heard the are good for the money. You get what you pay for. A 36" Hydro Exmark would be good too.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I haven't used a quick mower, but if you do get one, make sure you get the Dually not the regular. The regular quick mower is a single hydro and you will be fighting that all day. If its the dually, then you would be better off. I was thinking that an Exmark 36" viking would be a pretty good mower. It'd be a little more expensive, but should be able to handle the work.

OP
G

GBoyd

LawnSite Member
I also thought about the viking... Pardon me if I am misunderstanding but it is my understanding that they are not easy to change the cut height on. This would be an important feature since I am going from Burmuda to fescue to rough wild grass.

Greg

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Since you want to change the deck height quickly and easily, an Exmark Turf Tracer HP would be your best choice. It has the floating deck that can be adjusted very easily and can come in a 36" deck size. It is a little more than the viking, but if the adjustable deck is important to you then the extra money will be well worth it.

Also, you have to remember that the quick mowers don't have a floating deck, so they too will require a little more time to change the deck height, just like an exmark viking.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Typically, the wider the deck the better it will hold hills. Don't know how big your property is but a 48" would likely do better than a 36" and a 52" would probably be better yet. You might check craig's list in your area or Ebay. there are deals to be had if you are patient.

OP
G

GBoyd

LawnSite Member
Are ZTR riders really that much more dangerous on hillsides? I had a giy tell me today he doesnt really see the difference between the two on hills.

I have about 3 acres but will only mow about 2 or a little less. All of it is on a Hill side and asmall portion is pretty steep. I currently mow it with a 21" Lawnboy but it is work and takes forever.

Greg

KPW LawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes a zero turn will tip over a heck of a let easier, if you are cutting with a walkbehind and have a problem you can just let the machine go and be fine, if you are on a zeroturn you are going to have some trouble getting off it with out hurting yourself.

carguyrob

LawnSite Member
I would highly recommend a scag walkbehind, I saw a used older style deck 36" on ebay today, I think it was a hydro too. Hydro is a huge benefit on hills. If you are willing to put out the money for a used rider I think that would actually be the best choice. Tough yards on hills are hard to mow in different directions and I have found that my scag ztr with the huge tires does not rut nearly as bad as the walkbehinds do with narrow tires. KPW has a point where having an accident on a rider is way more severe, but I mow a few accounts on very steep hills and have found my mowers to be very stable. Going up and down hills I have never had a problem at all.

OP
G

GBoyd

LawnSite Member
I have come to the conclusion I do need the dual hydro setup for the hills I have. I know the Quick mowers have dual Hydro an dI know the Turf Tracer HP is dual hydro as well. Are the vikings dual hydro? And if so what are some other models I could look for used that have a dual hydro setup?

I would like to stay around the 3K mark is possible.

All things being equal... I would think a new Quick 44 with its two year warranty would be better than a used Exmark with no warranty... if both are fixed deck, dual hydro and similar HP.

Is my thinking flawed?

Greg