Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis weekend I gave the mowers a bath and then realized I was out of MoDeck. (stuff works just ok...it does make scraping the deck much easier)...so I say what the heck and heavily sprayed the mower decks with WD 40. Well to my surprise yesterday, after 5 machine hours of mowing in dew and long grass, there was very little build up....what a nice surprise...I'll see how it goes today ...just thought I'd pass this on as I didn't think wd40 had a snowballs chance of working, even a little bit, to prevent buildup...

· Banned
2,403 Posts
I thought it was kind of pricy and didn't work all that well. It didn't leave enough residue.
I now use mineral spirits with some used motor oil dumped into it. I spray it on with a little 2 gallon hand sprayer.
When I started the decks had a lot of rusty scale. Now every time I scrape and oil them they look shinnier. They're easier to scrape too. No more scale at all.
I've never tried Mo-deck or anything like that. All my decks together come up to over 32' of mowing width. So I wanted something cheaper. Now I can treat them all for about $1.

Dave

· Banned
2,346 Posts
Originally posted by David Haggerty
All my decks together come up to over 32' of mowing width. So I wanted something cheaper. Now I can treat them all for about $1.

Dave
So, you have a 21" and an 11" mower?? Two 16" mowers? I'm lost.

· Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try that Dave...where do you locate your mower when you're spraying this slimy muck?? I guess newspapers under it might work?? I cant jack my mower up with the Juingle jack on stones because it wont roll under the mower unless the surface is smooth

· Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Meg-Mo
Try the MEG MO blades and you wont have to worry about those jobs of cleaning decks.
Waaaaaaiiit a minute...........how are they going to keep you from having to keep your deck clean? :confused:

Explain to me how will your blades keep wet St. Augustine grass from sticking to the underside of my deck without using any kind of spray....And I'd like a real technical explanation please, not just another post where you say they are great...........

· Registered
78 Posts
what do u guys think about power washing the under side of decks??? i hear that it's not good cause the high pressure water gets into crevices and speeds up rust.

1. can i hear from guys that power wash their mowers and what if any problems have u had???

im gonna try the WD 40 and see if it works.......

2. i somehow need to clean up/remove the rust on the underside of my deck , any suggestions other than sand blasting???

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dwarf
Waaaaaaiiit a minute...........how are they going to keep you from having to keep your deck clean? :confused:

Explain to me how will your blades keep wet St. Augustine grass from sticking to the underside of my deck without using any kind of spray....And I'd like a real technical explanation please, not just another post where you say they are great...........
I would imagine it has to do with the amount of lift and all the air flow that is created with the Meg Mo blades. Really its not rocket science.

· Registered
3,464 Posts
i clean my deck with the wax mode, at car washes,,after doing a particularly weed area.the most important thing is not speading weeds to areas that are better kept. the wax seems to work alrite .
but in the rite conditions any deck is gonna clog up. any ive used anyway.

· Banned
1,757 Posts
I don't know fellas

We don't usualy feel there is any need to scrap the deck. During rain, or after, sure it needs to be done. But regular average mowing? Like once a week if that on the day we change blades.

· Registered
11,352 Posts
Originally posted by Meg-Mo
Like DLCS says it just one of the side benefices of the MEG MO blades
Then please explain it for us mowing dummies...I've only been at this for 9 years commercially now and I would like to know as well.

· Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by SUGAR_CUT_MARK
what do u guys think about power washing the under side of decks??? i hear that it's not good cause the high pressure water gets into crevices and speeds up rust.

1. can i hear from guys that power wash their mowers and what if any problems have u had???

im gonna try the WD 40 and see if it works.......

2. i somehow need to clean up/remove the rust on the underside of my deck , any suggestions other than sand blasting???
I built a covered bay on the side of my shop to do all my deck and mower cleaning. I have a steam cleaner out there and have found nothing better to clean mowers with. The water is so hot ( 210 degrees ) it just evaporates in less than a minute. Rust does'nt have time to set up. You just have to watch the spindles, because it is possible to cook the grease out of them. Also, in the winter time it's fun to make a massive smoke ( steam ) screen with it, and really.....who does'nt like a good smoke screen?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.