WD 40 versus Fluid Film

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jweiner, Apr 23, 2012.

1. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

Pardon my stupidity, but what is the difference between these two products?

2. hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

fluid film is thicker and better to use on your equipment than wd40

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

The main difference is wd40 isn't a waste of money.

iand, jkatw and redmax fan like this.
  4. dahammer

dahammer LawnSite Member

Ouch! Here we go. :laugh:

I'm a PB Blaster guy myself.

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Can't beat PB for bustin rusty bolts. Wd 40 is a great all around lube. Fluid film smells nice but I personally saw no advantage. My favorite multi lube is break free clp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Night and day.

7. weeze

weeze Banned

wd-40 doesn't cost as much and has been around for ages because it works.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I like Fluid Film, but not for the underside of my deck like so many buy it for. It used it before winter set in to protect my trailer hardware and the hinge pins. It is still providing protection, and a lot better and longer lasting the WD-40, which I also use regularly. WD is great stuff, but FF lasts a lot longer when exposed directly to the weather, and it does appear to stop rust from getting worse, or new rust from forming. My trailer's hinge pins are still very slippery after almost 6 months of being out in the weather. The tailgate goes up and down much easier, and comes off the pins much easier too. I also like JD Superlube. It seems to work better for some applications than WD-40, and penetrates rusty/stuck hardware better.

JLSLLC likes this.
  9. weeze

weeze Banned

i had a masterlock on a building that was rusted up and the key would hardly turn and unlock it so i sprayed some wd-40 in the keyhole. 6 years later it still turns like butter after only spraying it one time.

hort101 likes this.
  10. roberthathaway7

roberthathaway7 LawnSite Member

While I'm here though... I don't really have time to look it up, but from what I understand WD40 is a "Penetration oil" and the Fluid Film stuff is a lubricating oil. They both function a little differently. I know this just from gun care. You can get a little rust off of a gun with WD40 but you have to oil afterwards to actually seal the metal from moisture. You can't just use WD40 as a gun lube. I know some people do but they probably keep their guns in good atmospheric conditions and coat them every time their used. Which is ok.. just not optimum. that's all i got, look into it further if you want