Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get the hang of this!

2 days ago I had a regular customer tell me "We found someone who said he'll do more work for less money, but if he doesn't work out we'll call you back". (gee, thanks)

It's a small yard, I charge $30 (my minimum) for mow/edge/blow, extras are extra. These people are O-L-D, have a nice 2-story house, an Escalade AND a $100k+ motorhome in the driveway.

Guess what? I DIDN'T CARE! I just said "Okay, thanks!" and walked away - didn't bother me a bit! You guys helped me a lot with my new attitude... thanks.

Do good work - stand by your price - stick to it! HA!

·
Banned
726 Posts
These were not long-term customers anyway. There are customers out there like this, maybe 10-15% of the people I run across. When they show themselves (right up front or down the road), I’ll gladly let them go. Because I know there are many more reasonable customers out there; it’s just a matter of finding them.

Obviously, you can count on never hearing from this customer again. But if a customer like this called me back, and if at any time during the season it took longer than 30 minutes to service their lawn, I'd raise my price with a pleasant smile. It’s a matter of principle, commanding their respect, and the consequences (or punishment) of letting you go; although you can justify it at this time with the higher cost of gasoline.

It’s a shame how selfish some people can be. Sounds like they’ve made a profit at their profession, but begrudge you the chance to make a profit at yours. Hopefully, your competition will take an hour or more and only get $20. That ties them up on another (you know this isn’t their only) loser account and keeps their wallet thin. Now you have more time to find a profitable account with reasonable people.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When they do call you back, I would treat the first time back as a whole new client. Point out the things you will have to correct before you can get it back to the way you had it before.

·
Registered
275 Posts
good job. a customer told me once that he was looking for someone that was good and cheap. i told him good luck because there is either good, or cheap. the two dont usually run together

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be wrong, but I think the guy they got is a real old hispanic guy who does yards in the neighborhood. He does a real nice job, but he push-mows, and it will take him a good 1.5-2 hours to complete the same work for probably $25. That means $12.50 an hour MINUS costs.

Hmmmm.... do ya think he pays taxes/sales tax? (heh heh heh)

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
do what I do, tell them that if they want you back then your prices will increase $7 to $10 more. Customers that try the whole cheaper service thing I just tell them straight up before they do it, if you are going to make the switch to someone cheaper and you find that they don't work and then you want me to come back and work it will cost you $7 more when I come back.

Even some customers I won't accept back until next year.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Only thing I would have done differently is said that they would not be welcome back. If no trust or respect for your ability to service them well has been gained, I would not give it one thought to taking them back again, even for double. That would have to be the biggest slap in the face to be thrown to the curb and then expected to go back to them. F U I say.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
"When prices goes down, quality goes down'' this is what i tell my customers. ''the quality of work we preform is worth the price you are going to pay, we guarantee it''

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to walk away. Good job! You won't have any problem replacing them. Not only that, but leaf season is right around the corner. Wait until they try to get the new guy to clean up their yard and he, with his push mower, can't get to them in a timely manner. That's when you get the most satisfaction. If they call you for leaf removal tell them you only have enough time to take care of your regulars.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by A1 Grass
I may be wrong, but I think the guy they got is a real old hispanic guy who does yards in the neighborhood. He does a real nice job, but he push-mows, and it will take him a good 1.5-2 hours to complete the same work for probably $25. That means $12.50 an hour MINUS costs.

Hmmmm.... do ya think he pays taxes/sales tax? (heh heh heh)
Of course he doesn't.

I was raised in SA lived off Perrin Bietel, an Nacadoches. I can tell ya yer in for some stiff competition. I can honestly say that there are more hispanics, since you want to call them that, in SA than there are in Mexico. More than half of them are on welfare. What better way to supplement the welfare check.

Actually moved back to SA in 1994. Wasnt a good move! My kids were required to learn spanish so they could understand what was bein taught. Little "hispanic" gang kids chasin my kids home from school everyday. 1997 we finally had enough an moved up here. Good move!! At least everyone speaks english. an tries to work for a living. This is America, if ya want to live here at least learn the language, and try to make an honest dollar.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Only thing I would have done differently is said that they would not be welcome back. If no trust or respect for your ability to service them well has been gained, I would not give it one thought to taking them back again, even for double. That would have to be the biggest slap in the face to be thrown to the curb and then expected to go back to them. F U I say.
DITTO!! No second chances.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i know i will never see any of u guys at food lion or walmart. cause u got principle. the market is self creating ,
and value and quality ,are variables...
now what we need is some[more] government regulations . yep:)

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Right on! You did the right thing. If I ever get a call like that, the conversations goes like this;

"Hi, this is Mr. Jones, I am calling to cancel our service. No problems with your company, we just found someone chea-"

"Great, thanks. Buh-bye. CLICK"

·
Registered
605 Posts
I saw the thread topic and began to cringe at the possibile routes that topic could lead. After reading it, though, I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. The best part is that they will be calling back when they see that the new guy won't be worth a hill of beans!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.