• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

We Won't Be Beaten on Price

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
From a landscaper I've never heard of from outside my area trying to get work in my area and spamming local Facebook pages - bold and italics added:

We Won’t Be Beaten on Price
Not only are we the best in the business, but our prices are also customer-friendly. If someone gives you a price, we guarantee to beat it. At [name removed] Landscaping we ensure affordability on every project, so you won’t overpay for the best service.

We are backed by years of experience, meaning we are the experts you need to take care of your home or business. We treat your home as we would our own. Call us today to discuss your project ideas and receive a free quote.

So what are your thoughts on this idea of not being beaten on price and a guarantee to beat any price? It's not something I would ever do and it's either bogus BS or complete desperation in my view. And, if they treat my home as their own does that mean they'll be moving in? ;)

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
some type of marketing always works with certain types of clients. I doubt they have any intention of beating any price and probably have a big list of exceptions or it's just a way to get in the door in an area and then build thru more conventional means. Still nothing beats a good job done and referrals.

If I'm looking for anything from a new boat, to home construction, new dentist etc the people I know their opinions, and the work I've seen done matters way more than the guarantee of doing it the cheapest. It's no different in landscaping.

anyway, there are lots of ways to build and run a business. You don't have to be everything to everyone. Find what you want to do, do it well and figure out what works to attract the clients that are compatible with your style.

I wouldn't bet this type of advertising gets big, involved, high end jobs very often. More often someone who just wants a quick cheap job done. There's a market for that and someone has to fill it, but it doesn't have to be you if that makes sense.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
There’s a handful of things that concern me with this industry, not that any industry is truly a safe bet. Automated mowers, apps that may turn Lawncare into uber and $20 chuck in a trucks. They all have problems but look at what uber did to the cab industry. Above all I worry about an app format for finding services like Lawncare and handyman work. It can be said that honing your skillset to be a true professional can avoid being replaced by someone hired by an app. But consider the experience of jumping in a cab with a cabby who has driven the city for 20 years. Those guys knew every little hole in the wall spot and all the city buzz. Uber came in and drivers who live 20 miles outside the city and we’re terrible city drivers easily took over and all but shut down medallion style cabbies.

lawndude28

LawnSite Senior Member
There’s a handful of things that concern me with this industry, not that any industry is truly a safe bet. Automated mowers, apps that may turn Lawncare into uber and $20 chuck in a trucks. They all have problems but look at what uber did to the cab industry. Above all I worry about an app format for finding services like Lawncare and handyman work. It can be said that honing your skillset to be a true professional can avoid being replaced by someone hired by an app. But consider the experience of jumping in a cab with a cabby who has driven the city for 20 years. Those guys knew every little hole in the wall spot and all the city buzz. Uber came in and drivers who live 20 miles outside the city and we’re terrible city drivers easily took over and all but shut down medallion style cabbies.
Amazon is going to make a big play into their home services branch. Mowing would be a great foot in the door. Pay 200$ a year for prime and you get a free mower.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Nope, it's my price or find someone else -> like this guy above that will beat any price. He'll wind up w/ customers like this - VVVVV

Of the few times I allowed for negotiation of my initial estimate/price, I was also bitten those few times as well. Most recent was a nice(??) old lady w/ a cute dog. She turned out to be a nightmare & a bully all rolled up into one...which was compounded by the fact she couldn't hear well due to ineffective hearing aids. Communication is key! So, couldn't talk to her on the phone since she couldn't hear. Also couldn't talk to her in person since she'd just talk all over me, not allowing me to get a word in edge-wise. She didn't bother getting new hearing aids over the next 4 weeks, so I had had enough. Took my first check for the previous month and walked away w/o mowing that day to start the new month. I told her I wasn't coming back...but she didn't/couldn't hear me. Did I mention she had a cute dog?

Mdirrigation

LawnSite Platinum Member
There was a company around here that tried that 20 years ago " We will beat any written estimate " A buddy of mine had an acre lawn so I gave him an estimate of $25 per cut . the guy came and gave him a price of $65 a cut , the buddy of mine asked if he will beat any price , the guy said yes , and was shown the estimate . The guy changed his advertising after that

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
It's most likely just a bait and switch kind of thing. It's the same in the house building industry. Some of these crap builders claim they will build your dream home for $65/sq ft. Then you find out it can't really be done. I don't care about pricing too much in our industry. There are different types of customers, but I try to avoid the tire kickers and cheap people. You can't help who calls you, but you can figure out pretty quick who you are dealing with. There are also the crazy people in the industry that like to work for peanuts. Let them. They find their way out of business pretty quick most of the time.