• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

We Won't Be Beaten on Price

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
There was a company around here that tried that 20 years ago " We will beat any written estimate " A buddy of mine had an acre lawn so I gave him an estimate of $25 per cut . the guy came and gave him a price of $65 a cut , the buddy of mine asked if he will beat any price , the guy said yes , and was shown the estimate . The guy changed his advertising after that
Exactly, if they will beat any price, that's the best thing to do. I would have myfriend give me a low estimate for landscaping and tell the guy he needs to beat it. lol

OP
F

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
The interesting part is that this guy has a small operation a half hour away. I think he's trying to get into my area because it's a pretty wealthy marina/beach/resort town and his area is urban. But there's already some low-priced guys here that I can't see him outpricing being a 1/2 hour away.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I don't see anyone as competition because I don't care what anyone else does or where they work, and there is more than enough work to go around.

In an ideal world, I would live away from the city - FAR away. But the bonus to living near the city is the sheer number of potential customers.
It must suck having to work hard to get work where there are fewer customers and other people who need them as much as you do.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't see anyone as competition because I don't care what anyone else does or where they work, and there is more than enough work to go around.

In an ideal world, I would live away from the city - FAR away. But the bonus to living near the city is the sheer number of potential customers.
It must suck having to work hard to get work where there are fewer customers and other people who need them as much as you do.
My solution is to work in the city and live in the country. The only downside is the 120 mile daily commute roundtrip.

OP
F

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
Short story. A friend/neighbor of mine was a notorious lowballer. He was mowing a lawn and the house got sold. It's a large lawn with a nasty slope. He was charging the former owners $55. The new owners called him, me and another local. My bid was $85, the other guy was $90, and we both told him that - we both knew that he had been servicing it and didn't want to step on his toes. He still bid the lawn at $60 and got it. Why would anyone in their right mind bid 40% less than someone else knowing full well what their bid was?

He was spread so thin running his tail off mowing underpriced lawns that he didn't service it properly. They wanted weekly and they were lucky if he showed up every other week and he never got to their fall cleanup. The next year they called me and it's now my account at $85. He's now out of business and moved down south - says he couldn't afford to live here.

Last edited:

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
My solution is to work in the city and live in the country. The only downside is the 120 mile daily commute roundtrip.
Wow.
That's insane to me.

Then again, before I did this for a living, I worked in the city and it took like an hour to drive 8 miles to work in the morning. Just as insane.

My longest route puts 40 miles on the truck in a day.
Most days are 20 miles or less total.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
From a landscaper I've never heard of from outside my area trying to get work in my area and spamming local Facebook pages - bold and italics added:

We Won’t Be Beaten on Price
Not only are we the best in the business, but our prices are also customer-friendly. If someone gives you a price, we guarantee to beat it. At [name removed] Landscaping we ensure affordability on every project, so you won’t overpay for the best service.

We are backed by years of experience, meaning we are the experts you need to take care of your home or business. We treat your home as we would our own. Call us today to discuss your project ideas and receive a free quote.

So what are your thoughts on this idea of not being beaten on price and a guarantee to beat any price? It's not something I would ever do and it's either bogus BS or complete desperation in my view. And, if they treat my home as their own does that mean they'll be moving in? ;)
Walmart school of thought
Drive prices down to Chase competition out of business then corner market and raise prices

Walmart , Home Depot, Lowe’s did it to all the small business
Now that those little hardware stores anc markets are virtually gone
The prices are way up.

brickman used to do the same thing
To break into a new market they would have a truck and a trailer... that’s it
They would run crazy low prices they knew were under bid
Then have three trucks
Then five

eventually in the ruined market
They would reside prices and buy a building
Usually at a steal of a price from some guy that went out of business

there’s a reason their nickname was “the evil empire”

thats the only reason I can think of to do the “crazy Eddie” these prices are insane! marketing pitch

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Short story. A friend/neighbor of mine was a notorious lowballer. He was mowing a lawn and the house got sold. It's a large lawn with a nasty slope. He was charging the former owners $55. The new owners called him, me and another local. My bid was $85, the other guy was $90, and we both told him that - we both knew that he had been servicing it and didn't want to step on his toes. He still bid the lawn at $60 and got it. Why would anyone in their right mind bid 40% less than someone else knowing full well what their bid was?

He was spread so thin running his tail off mowing underpriced lawns that he didn't service it properly. They wanted weekly and they were lucky if he showed up every other week and he never got to their fall cleanup. The next year they called me and it's now my account at $85. He's now out of business and moved down south - says he couldn't afford to live here.
Was he still making his margin?
I can frequently do work cheaper than the next guy and make more margin than him doing it.
I’ve got better equipment, better trained guys and I’m just better.
But
I can’t come fix your fence gate or plant one tree.... it’s going to cost $2400 just to get my crew on site.
Economy of scale.

are you using a hammer or a scalpel? They both do certain jobs much better

OP
F

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
Was he still making his margin?
I can frequently do work cheaper than the next guy and make more margin than him doing it.
I’ve got better equipment, better trained guys and I’m just better.
But
I can’t come fix your fence gate or plant one tree.... it’s going to cost $2400 just to get my crew on site.
Economy of scale.

are you using a hammer or a scalpel? They both do certain jobs much better
No, he wasn't making his margin. He couldn't afford to pay his guys who he was paying cash or even put gas in his truck. He was living off his retirement money from his days in the PD which he took as a lump sum disbursement. He left town when the money ran out with the $4,500 some sucker paid for his client list. He tried to sell it to me for $70k.