1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Website comments and critics wanted!

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by The Lawn Connection, Mar 10, 2010.

1. The Lawn Connection

The Lawn Connection LawnSite Member

Hey guys I read the post almost everyday before I go to bed for ideas and tips. However this year I am looking to grab the customers attention.

Will people take a look at my website and give me their honest opinions.

http://thelawnconnection.com/

Thanks for everyone who has helped me on this website and just dont know it!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The page looks good. I didn't look at all of the sub pages.

There are 4 images at the bottom that don't appear. You may want to work on the CSS and get it to auto detect the viewers screen resolution. Your page looks very skinny on my screen.

thelawnconnection.jpg

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i like some of the ideas you have with discounts and tips, but the site is very, um blue? a green industry site is not what it looks like. my opinion. nice info though

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you wanted critisism, so I'll be painfully honest.

-Where it says something to the extent of "blowing off side/drivewalks" I'd think you mean sidewalks/drive??

-Do you have a picture of a house that's not a double-wide you can use for the homepage?

-I'd move the greencare for troops thing to the bottom of the home page vs. the top.

Other than that I don't think its too bad, better than a lot of the other sites guys hae posted on here.

6. The Lawn Connection

Richard what program are you using to view my website? Never thought about anyone having that problem. I am using Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks Richard!

7. The Lawn Connection

Grassman, thanks for you opinion. I will consider making it more green as you suggested! I guess liking blue hurts me!

8. The Lawn Connection

Procut, well you said criticism and I gulped for a minute. But after reading it, it was only constructive criticism. I can handle that!

Durrr, I guess I had a brain fart. Yes sidewalks and drive ways. What was I thinking.

I lost some of my pics, I had that one to use at the moment. I will change that when I start mowing again.

I tried to make it decent, I dont want to be ordinary. Try to stand out a little bit!

Being in a military town, I put the Greencare at the top. But it does take away from page itself. See what I can do to move it.

9. The Lawn Connection

Oh thank you for the comments on discounts and tips. I am just trying new marketing ideas.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks okay.

What do you say about dropping linking the entire paragraph on the home page? Maybe change the menu button to "about us" or something, and just let people find it in the menu. Its sort of wierd to link entire sentences or paragraphs.

I'm not a fan of weather banners, but its fine.

A comment was made that your site was skinny. Actually, I think that the 800 pixel width is the ultimate in webpage width, maybe 900. But without a side menu. So the side menu does narrow the text area quite a bit. My first site had a side menu, and I culled it, opting for a horizontal menu instead.

800 pixels is about the width of a page of paper. And its no accident that a paper page is the width it is.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010