1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Website Critique

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Yard Ace, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Yard Ace

Yard Ace LawnSite Member

I was wondering if I could get some website advice and critiques about my site linked below...

www.YardAceSTL.com

Thanks a lot in advance. This is a huge help.

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

On mobile the part of the phone number is black. I don't know how appealing $5 off your made up price is, as far as they know you raise the price $5 before giving the discount. i thought about putting discounts on landscaping but really if you don't have publicly available set pricing a discount doesn't mean anything.

What about doing an about page for your business? People like to know about about the companies they hire

3. Primo Landscaping

Primo Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would consider adding a gallery page where you show pictures if some of your work. Customers like before and after pics. And if you have testimonials they might help sell your services as well.

4. Yard Ace

Yard Ace LawnSite Member

Mitty87, this is a great point about the discount pricing. It can almost feel like a car sales man technique.

I can't seem to figure out why the number looks black on the mobile site. I think that may be your phone seeing that as a quick link to call. On my phone it's white like the rest of the title. I'll look into that more.

Primo, this is a great suggestion and one that I was planning on doing. I only have two yards though and with the limited number of pictures it may look like I'm too new and may be a turn off for business. I may be overthinking it though.

I have received reviews from one customer but it was off of Thumbtack. I'm not sure how to transfer that onto my site if at all. I'll look into that.

Thank you both for the advice, big help.

5. Primo Landscaping

Primo Landscaping LawnSite Member

I honestly think some nice pictures even just a few are better than none. Also just a suggestion but do try to take some pics from here on out to add content. Even adding a pic or two of yourself with clean nice looking tools is positive.

6. Mitty87

Yea it's a start, definitely needs some more content and pics. The blog is a good idea. You could offer something like one free weeding/spray service with yearly agreement etc so it feels like they are actually getting a deal.

I just bought my new truck and it was 20% off, it sure didn't feel like it with all the other bs they pulled on me, you're right about the car salesman tactic.

What did you use to make your site? Squarespace? Did you get started on any SEO?

7. Yard Ace

Yard Ace LawnSite Member

Adding pictures of my tools and myself is not something I thought of. I'll also make note to take before and after photos of jobs each time.

I used Weebly to create the site. I went to a few sites and worked on basic seo stuff that weebly mentioned but I think there is a second or a third level to seo that I just don't understand yet.

8. Mitty87

I used squarespace and applied a bit of what I read here, have had steady 7 days a week of work for 2 people since May solely from the site. Read all of tony Greeks posts, Ben Bowen also has had a lot of success doing his own seo, read his posts as well.

I had zero computer knowledge and was really frustrated at first, but don't try to understand it all at once , take your time.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Yard Ace

Yard Ace LawnSite Member

This is awesome. Reading the past posts from tony and ben have been intersting. Have you done any other marketing in the past to grow your clients. I know things will be slow until next year because I'm starting at the end of summer but it's nice to at least get my name out there.

10. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

This is more of a general post and not directed towards the Original post/website

Your website is FARE more important than the sum of any equipment you own. It has greater value than your mower, your truck combined. If you would not attempt to build your own truck or mower, (assuming your not a programmer) I would not build your own website. You will loose more money than you will ever know.