website questions/critique

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Jscoop, May 6, 2019.

1. Jscoop

Jscoop LawnSite Member

Hello,

I had this website built about a year ago. I know very little about websites. From prior post that I've read, it seems that in the year I should be ranking higher in my area. I'm no where on google, and second page on bing. If you guys could take a minute to take a look at my site I would appreciate it. I am in an area that is experiencing a lot of growth, and I know I'm missing a lot of opportunities, because I'm tough to find. I'm not sure if its a formatting issue, or something else. I've been running google ad words with little to no success.

www.benchmarkturf.com

Any critique is appreciated, Thanks

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

It loads really slow on my old computer.

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

To go ahead and just tear off the band-aid... the very short answer is that you were taken for a ride. There's really too much wrong with it to bother with advising how to fix it and that particular short answer is to blow it up and start over. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you've never done so, you should hit Google and pull back all of the pages you have indexed. To do so, visit Google and paste this in to the search box:

Now do the same for whatever this site is that's inexplicably live:

site:benchmarkturf-lawncaremanagement.business.site

Not working in your favor is that you have duplicate'ish sites and content. Also not helping is that your primary site is horribly built using a bad, off the shelf template* and you have no real content.

*the site is slow and poor-performing because the off the shelf template is loading ecommerce and Amazon store functionality, along with a variety of other, unused components. This plays into the "you were taken for a ride" aspect.

4. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

Unfortunately, website don't simply rank because they've been live for a certain amount of time. What ranks is good content and best SEO practices over time.

Right off the bat, taking a look at your home page:
    • You're missing your meta description
    • You're missing and H1 header
    • Your H2 headers aren't geared towards any specific keywords
    • The alt-text on your images don't seem to be focusing on keywords either
    Your meta description and header tags are an issue on every page.

But one of the biggest things hurting you is the fact that you don't have service pages dedicated to your specific services. You have a Services page, but you need to have pages specific to each individual service you offer.

These pages need to have appropriate header tags, alt text, content, and relevant links if you want any chance of ranking.

For instance, if you create a page about Insect Control, you want something like this:

Page Title: Insect Control | Wesley Chapel, FL | Benchmark Turf (if that all fits)

H1: Insect Control Services in Wesely Chapel, Florida (or wherever you're primarily targeting)

H2: H2s are subheaders so you'd have multiple that break out the content of your H1:
    • Ornamental flower bed pest control
    • Perimeter pest control
    • Japanese Beetle control
    • Grub control
    • Etc...
    Your meta description would then be something like:
    "Benchmark Turf Management is the Tampa Bay area's leading ornamental pest control service company. Contact us today for your free estimate."

Your website loads pretty decently for me. 1.77 seconds is what my tool clocked (anything under 3 seconds is good).

Your images could be shrunk down a little using a tool like compressjpeg.com. But prior to that, make sure you size them correctly using a tool like the Page Ruler in the Chrome store for Google Chrome (I use Firefox so my tool is a little different).

Resize the image, compress it, then upload and add title and alt texts to the image.

Google+ isn't a thing anymore so I would advise removing the Google icon in the top right and in your footer.

Another thing to consider is you don't have Google Analytics or Events added to your site. So you don't know exactly what your traffic patterns and quantities are and you're not tracking goals like form fills, phone calls, or emails, so it would be really hard to tell exactly how your website is performing, especially when you get phone calls and emails.

There is a lot more, but this is more on-site stuff you can do to clean up the website experience and crawlability.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  5. EverGrow Marketing

Also, your site doesn't have an SSL, which is fundamental.

You've had little to no success because your site is in no shape to be having ads directing to it. You may get clicks but those clicks will never convert. There's no obvious user path, dedicated, service-related landing pages, and there isn't a form on every page.

Ads work great, but if you're a novice in the Google Ads realm, especially in this industry, it's really easy to blow a lot of money and not see a lot, if any, results.

Love the Green Biz and tonygreek like this.
  6. tonygreek

We had very different results. What were you using to test?

Google PageSpeed Mobile score is a 4 out of 100, with a 30 second load time. Desktop is a 25 with a 6+ second load time.

GTMetrix Pro scores it an F, with similar results to PageSpeed Insights.

The bad Themeforest theme is "helping" the home page achieve those times with a 6mb page weight and staggering 157 server requests.

7. EverGrow Marketing

The first test was Pingdom Tools:
    upload_2019-5-6_8-34-50.png

The quick test is using the Mozbar
    upload_2019-5-6_8-35-17.png

I tend not to trust Google's PageSpeed (I know, seems like the opposite of what you want to do). Web.dev is fairly new and kind of buggy. And PageSpeed only rates the site based on crawling the page for best practices, it doesn't actually clock the site.

A lot of SEOs are only taking Google's page speed calculations at face value currently, including Fishkin (although I think he's falling behind the wheel lately).

8. tonygreek

SEO'splaining me and then using Rand Fishkin as a supporting reference? Bold move... ;)

9. EverGrow Marketing

lol thanks. I'm a bold guy sometimes. I just figure if you use Fishkin as a point then it's pretty obvious whatever is in question is already an established trend haha

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  10. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Slow loading is an issue. More pages, pics and videos would help. My site was slow to get going until I hooked up with a great designer and SEO artist-he came up with all manner of ways to get a google search to find me and now I'm 1st page #1 to 3 in my surrounding areas when someone searches for my type of services.

My web man had me get to about 20 pages with separate distinct drop down menus. In addition to a robust story driven "About" page we also added a Licensing page, Associations memberships, Testimonials, Public Service page etc. On to our services which have videos of specific products, services we perform and service areas. Next up there are pages on permits, FAQ, installation videos and more. Then a Green Industry Blog with archives that I write, a Coupon page with season specials and finally a Contact page. All this logically found via simple drop down menus-no wait for page loading.

I was on page 3 of searches (still a no man's land) after a few months and as I built content and blog posts I made it to page one after a year.

My best advice is to shop for a pro who knows his stuff and won't rob you blind. They are out there-and there is one right on this page-Evergrow Marketing. Another good one is at https://ramblinjackson.com/clients/website-design/

Good luck to you and can those ripoff ads already!

EverGrow Marketing likes this.