weed control question

Grassman0787

LawnSite Member
Morning

I am late to the technology of forums in our business. Thought I would put this out there and see what you guys and gals opinions are.

My business offers a simple 4 step program for lawn care here in Iowa. Our second app in May/early June is taylored towards weed control and fertilization. Something that has drove me nuts over the years is the always late emergence of the "creepy crawlies" in late june and the into summer. Spurge, mouse ear etc.

Id be interested to hear how other operations stay on top of these late bloomers in between spring and fall apps?
- the obvious answer spot spray which we do
- any luck with other herbicides that keep them under control till fall?

Im new here and always interested in new practices anything to help each other with success. Thanks in advance!

dtford

LawnSite Member
Last 4-5 years i've added a summer weed and feed application at about his time. works well, along with spot spray, then another weed and feed in Fall

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I hate the late summer weeds, especially spotted spurge.
I have done a few tests. This August I compared several herbicides. Spot spray applications to control spurge were compared.
Speedzone was the most effective in the 2021 test.
Speedzone combined with MSO as a surfactant--seemed to be slightly less effective.
T-Zone was almost as effective--second place.
I want to test Speedzone and T-Zone with MSO and with a non-ionic surfactant.
I want to test the effects of adding Quicksilver over the top of Speedzone (which already contains a small percentage of Quicksilver).

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
What's your primary turf grass there out of curiosity. I could suggest a pre em that really helps but it's warm season.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm having excellent results with escalade herbicide (first timer using it) smoking spurge without the damage of speedzone in 98 degree temps.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
I hate the late summer weeds, especially spotted spurge.
I have done a few tests. This August I compared several herbicides. Spot spray applications to control spurge were compared.
Speedzone was the most effective in the 2021 test.
Speedzone combined with MSO as a surfactant--seemed to be slightly less effective.
T-Zone was almost as effective--second place.
I want to test Speedzone and T-Zone with MSO and with a non-ionic surfactant.
I want to test the effects of adding Quicksilver over the top of Speedzone (which already contains a small percentage of Quicksilver).
I’m smoking all weed, opps sorry, I meant weeds with my own TZone cocktail. No burning at all, even in 90 degree temps. Cool season turf.

Top Forums