Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Expert Lawns, Jan 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i'll be the villian. i use round up, mixed at 3-4 oz per gallon, and get them while its early and they are young. i'm just tellin you what i do, not tellin you what you should do

2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

How can you say roundup is against the law? It is not a restricted use Pesticide! I have a applicators license, and anyone licensed knows that. I personally use clearout41 for sidewalks and drives. It is just a much cheeper form of roundup. It is a total vegitation killer, so do not use in the mulch! Just find your local farm center or coop and ask about it.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

roundup is a herbicide. herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides all fall under the same category=pesticides. it is illegal to use a pesticide, on a "for hire " basis, without being licensed by the state. and you can use roundup in mulched areas, you are spot treating, not doing a blanket application. put the wand directly on the weed.

4. Johnny

Johnny LawnSite Member

Pull those weeds out of the plant beds. Then sell them mulch to control the weeds. And call it your organic program.

You won't here of anyone getting caught on this site. They are out of business!!

Get certified and make $$'s, legally.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You are certified and are not aware that spraying pesticide w/o a license is against the law?!

Restricted use has nothing to do with "against the law".

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are in this business and apply round up without a license . Yes it is against the law. If you apply vinegar without a license it is against the law.
    You might be able to use a torch and burn them out or cut them out of the sidewalks with your trimmer as those are mechanical controls and not chemical.

7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

You may be able to use Horticultural Vinegar without a licence depending on whether your state has an exempted list. Im trying to get it exempted here in British Columbia. For now I cant use "no-name brand" horticultural vinegar to kill weeds because it isnt registered (and therefore has not been tested and proven reasonalbly safe by the govt of canada) and i cant use brand name vinegar like Burn Out because it is a pesticide and i would therefore require a licence. You can try the infra-red burner or any of the propane burners i guess. You can get those for cheap now, they dont work that great however.

8. OP
    OP
    Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

a lot of mixed thoughts here. i have made my decision not to do it. legal or illegal it just looks like it is morally wrong. for those of you who bashed me, thank you, you have helped me, and that is what lawnsite is for. i would like to see this thread continue, it is interesting to see the different opinions on this matter. we are all in the same line of work yet have differences in many aspects. very intriguing.

9. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

OH has a seperate test just for apps to garden bed areas. I laughed as i was taking it, but i have it on my card none the less.

Id imagine you would be very surprised at the market for this service. Think: who likes pulling weeds? Typically i charge $25/hour including materials w. a 1 hour min done on a monthly basis. My residential props can be done in under 15 mins. It definately improves the look of the prop, and at only $25, most will jump at the deal.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Expert Lawns - the intent was not to bash you. The intent was to provide you with knowledge and to point out the consequences of doing something that is unethical and illegal. There are many here (myself included) who take pesticide application seriously. I'm glad you took our advice not to do this without a proper license. Now, get a hold of your local Extension Agency and ask about getting a license. They will show you what you need to do. Winter is an excellent time to upgrade your skills. Good luck to you this season!