1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Weed Eater Guards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Merkava_4, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you take yours off? The manufacturer says you stand a good chance of burning up your clutch if you take the guard off. But every time you advance the string, the guard's cutter cuts off some string. So you're basically weighing the cost of the clutch to the cost of the string. The string is getting kind of pricy if you buy the good stuff from like Echo or Rotary. I have a Stihl FS 91 R that I've been buying the Echo Black Diamond string for. The guard will allow about 6 inches of string per side.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

For the folks who remove their guards and operate the trimmer at WOT (wide open throttle), then they stand the best chance of stressing/ruining their clutch.
    I'm a lower RPM trimmer-guy and remove my guard...and have yet to ever have to address a clutch issue and I get 6-7+ years of use out of a trimmer before I retire it. IFF your line gets too long w/ guard removed it is imperative to either physically cut it or preferably grind it down to size on a concrete surface.

3. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

Oh God please let's not start this over again...

oqueoque, weeze, kemco and 1 other person like this.
  4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

You will lose both eyes and your clutch will explode and you will be sued by all the people struck by debris

I remove mine immediately.

5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Leave mine on.:popcorn:

DMT29 likes this.
  6. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

I used to run mine off. Lighter, better visibility, can get into smaller areas. We run guards on everything now for liability reasons. We mainly do this to cut down on slinging debris everywhere, or somewhat try to control it. If there is an issue, the insurance will see guards and not a bunch of trimmers without them.

oqueoque, hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  7. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

Used to also take them off, it is lighter and more versatile, but it’s also a hazard, and something I’m sure MI-OSHA would love to give me a coupon for if a competitor ever reported us.
    They’re also safer to have on.

Green Industry Pro and Cam15 like this.
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

If the guard was ALL the way around the head, then maybe, just maybe it might not sling debris 'everywhere'. Even w/ a guard on, I'll still feel debris hit me...just sayin'.

Some folks like those Edgit attachments...but talk about limiting where your trimmer will fit. I'm talking about gas meters near the house/foundation, trimming into CORNERS...that kind of thing.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Green Industry Pro likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Someone used to make a guard that was clamped to the shaft, so you could still have a guard but it might just get bumped up so it doesn't affect trim length...or so I've been told. I think it was Redmax. No idea if they still do.

I hadn't done a ton of mowing in a long time before last year. We were shorthanded so I was mowing 3 days a week and losing my mind the other 4. What I found is running the trimmer at just enough RPM's to cut the grass or weeds not only uses less fuel, less wear on the clutch but also significantly extends trimmer line life. Obviously I would rev it up in heavier conditions, but still.

But ours may or may not fall off at the time of purchase. We run single line out of our heads, doesn't "dig" in to the turf as much. Get a bit more vibration but it's worth it.

Clutches are wear parts, they aren't going to last forever. I figure a 3 year life cycle for my handhelds.

10. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Edgeit fun fact..... sometimes flipping the trimmer /edgeit upside down so the trimmer spool is pointing up while trimming allows you to get into tighter spots Or around fence poles better.

The Swamp Fox, sjessen and Cam15 like this.