Weed ID help bitter cress?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kemco, Mar 21, 2018.

1. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this bitter cress? And any suggestions on good control product. Thx

IMG_20180321_094140.jpg

2. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah!

3. Hineline

Up north I comb for the little leaf pods on my last 2 rounds in the fall and get it sprayed out then. Normally on bed edges.

4. Hineline

Sorry for the lack of recommendation. I'm always spraying it during cool weather so I'm using Speedzone at the time but 3-way will kill it also. It basically dies once it flowers and gets hot out.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

and a little mso ..

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah a little background, new customer from BBB taking us on a "trial basis". We sprayed on the 3rd of March for the first time. Since then we have had very cool temps. Back yard was covered with it, which is what I thought it was bitter cress. Pic shown is from another lawn earlier in the day today and a little more mature than what was in the customers lawn that I am talking about.

Well he called back within a handful of days after the 3rd complaining that whatever I sprayed had not taken care of the problem. I called back and spoke with them and explained that we've had temps in the high 30s at night and really hasn't gotten over about 55 as the high for the last week or so... so it should be working its just going to work slowly. Well they really wanted me to come back and respray. I agreed, trying to keep a new customer who found us through the BBB happy. But because of almost constant rain since that conversation I have not been able to get back over there until later today (after I posted the pic). Well, what I found was that 99% of it was dead or dying. I just wanted some reassurance I guess that I had identified this correctly. He also had a little dandelion but other than that just a Bermuda lawn (dormant) full of bitter cress.

On the initial visit on the 3rd I used our pre em blend plus took my time spot spraying everything (the bitter cress) with a 3-way plus image - I was in a pinch and needed something for onion (ran out of Solitaire) and could not make it to my chem dealer and a home depot was nearby ;) Not sure if the image helped in the kill of the bitter cress but yeah, when I got there later today it was all pretty much all, and I mean all dead. But customer was happy I came by, hit a handful of weeds that were in the death spiral with a spot spray again. All good. Thanks for the responses.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The long forgotten Image is also effective against Bittercress. That application, if it were done broadcast, would be an effective pre against seeds germinating. I almost always include Image if I have to clean up a weedy lawn. Broadleaves, grassy weeds, and sedges are all affected. Not much difference between Imazaquin(Image) and Imazapyr(Arsenal, Mojave, Sahara). Tolerance of turf is often marginal to Image, so I broadcast spray only on non stressed turf. No irrigation and nutritional problems are stoppers to using Image.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

A simple piece of advice that will help you in the future with new customers. Especially ones like him. A weed must be growing to die. Weeds with flowers and seeds (bet those are popping like popcorn as you walk through them) are at the end of their life cycle and just sitting there(not growing). They must be mowed to force them to start growing again so they will take in what you have sprayed. This time of year when the bittercress is tall and the henbit is full of purple flowers, people call us because they don't want to mow. They figure we'll come out, wave our magic wand, sprinkle a little fairy dust if necessary and they don't have do anything except watch out the window for the weeds to die. I let them know real quick that this is not the case... All new customers are written a note with their first invoice that they must mow within 2 weeks if they haven't already prior to us spraying.

If I do get a call about weeds not dead, the first question I have for them is, "Have you mowed yet?" 99 times out of 100 the answer is "No".
    It'll save you alot of headache.

hort101, ArTurf, ETM and 1 other person like this.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

True. Weeds not growing will not die. That is my problem here. Our weeds are acclimated to 80+ and sun all day long. They stop growing when it is only 70 and cloudy. That is when and why I use Ester based broadleaf weed killers. They are not appropriate when it is 80+ and humid, but 70 in the daytime and kind of windy is when they are actually safer if spray drift is controlled.

kemco likes this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

[QUOTE="kemco, post: 5792472, member: 94141"
    On the initial visit on the 3rd I used our pre em blend plus took my time spot spraying everything (the bitter cress) with a 3-way plus image - I was in a pinch and needed something for onion (ran out of Solitaire) and could not make it to my chem dealer and a home depot was nearby ;) Not sure if the image helped in the kill of the bitter cress but yeah, when I got there later today it was all pretty much all, and I mean all dead. But customer was happy I came by, hit a handful of weeds that were in the death spiral with a spot spray again. All good. Thanks for the responses.[/QUOTE]
    Do you not blanket with a post on round 1 with the pre?