Weed ID Needed and Suggested Heribcide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Kenny T, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Kenny T

Kenny T LawnSite Member

please help with weed ID. Round stem, redpurple sheath, absent to small membraneous ligule, growing in late Winter to now in Middle TN in tall fescue lawn. My initial thought after examining the weed was that it was either Orchardgrass, Annual Rye Grass or Barnyard grass.
    upload_2019-3-8_21-11-18.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-8_21-11-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-8_21-12-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-8_21-12-52.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-8_21-13-24.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-8_21-14-4.jpeg

2. ssargcs

ssargcs LawnSite Member

Drive XLR8 maybe? Not sure of the exact weed, leaning towards barnyard. It should be safe on your fescue if it is well established, but definitely read the label and make sure you agree, see link. No experience with fescue.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld8LD011.pdf

3. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

If it is Barnyard. Tenacity, Acclaim Extra, Fusilade II, Quinclorac are all labeled for control. But I doubt it's actually Barnyard grass. I would guess more likely Orchard grass. And that creates a problem. You'll need a shovel or a non selective herb.

zlandman and Doc8406 like this.
  4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  5. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

63A5059B-21D2-4328-9DE8-C022D1B53C3B.jpeg It looks like orchard grass to me also. Use Pylex at the 1ml per gallon with .5oz MSO. If it is indeed orchard grass it will be controlled with a couple of apps spaced 2 weeks apart.

I have/had it in my yard and it has been controlled. I will get a spot here and there show up and the Pylex has done a number on it.

Here is a pic of some landscaping at my house and it just so happens to show the orchard grass about a week after the application. This is the only one I have left showing the orchard grass.

6. Kenny T

Kenny T LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Pylex suggestion. That is one that I do not have. I have also read that Tenacity works on orchard grass. Have you ever tried or had success with Tenacity?

7. Kenny T

Kenny T LawnSite Member

Sorry, what is MSO? I am not familiar with that?

8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

MSO is methylated seed oil

Tenacity didnt work

9. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also agree with orchard grass diagnosis.

Maybe a shot of Mesulfuron?? Have to check the label to be sure

10. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Only use Metsulfuron on fescue if you want to kill or damage it. Warm season only product