weed killer only works sometimes. .??

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Glyphosate is also not a universal herbicide. Poor control on many broadleaf weeds and sedges. But, if someone were truly educated, they would know that. Note that I say weeds, because there is nothing like Glyphosate to damage, then eventually kill desirable shrubs or flowers. So much so, that it is not my first choice of product to apply near desirable ornamentals.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I can only guess by the wording and look of your post you have no idea what your doing and what (weed) your spraying. So my advise is to hand weed anything you come in contact with. It people like you that give legitimate company’s a bad name.
Wow! Thanks for the friendly help!
He's not being rude, he's being honest.

Now be honest with yourself, are you qualified/properly licensed to perform the type work you are doing?

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
The OP never stated he was applying the product for hire, he may be a homeowner applying it on his own property and is asking the pros for help.
icemanrrc, let us know if this is so.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
The OP never stated he was applying the product for hire, he may be a homeowner applying it on his own property and is asking the pros for help.
icemanrrc, let us know if this is so.
Could be the case, but he posted in the professional forum and and didn't clarify so.............

Wasn't busting his chops just saying, there's so many people using pesticides for hire that aren't qualified that post on here so it wasn't out of line to assume

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Understood, he does sound like a homeowner who is new to Lawnsite and is asking for help.
icemanrrc, Is this correct?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
He used that term "weed killer" I knew a guy that called it "poison" Some people say "spray that weed stuff"

These are key words for people that know the results desired but have no clue to what the product actually does or methods or amount to use.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
OK Ice. How many sqft did you spray with the gallon of glyphosate solution? Are you calibrated at 1 gallon per thousand sqft? Of course--trees and vertical brush are difficult to measure on a sqft basis.
What nozzle?
What pressure?
Using clean water is fine--however even a small amount of muddy water reduces the effects of gly.
What type of weed? Annuals? Perennials? Deep roots? Long fat rhizomes? Woody vines? Trees? Bermuda grass? Poison ivy? At what stage of growth? (Young, growing-fast, mature, winter-dormant)? Tough weeds need more. Do not expect gly to penetrate thick bark. Gly has no soil activity. Does not penetrate soil. No residual.
Not much help--but one of these points might help you.
I hope you are not dealing with Roundup-ready corn or beans. Is it Roundup-ready bentgrass?

Last edited:

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
He used that term "weed killer" I knew a guy that called it "poison" Some people say "spray that weed stuff"

These are key words for people that know the results desired but have no clue to what the product actually does or methods or amount to use.
Unfortunately I have heard these terms used by well seasoned professionals. :nono:

skexis

LawnSite Member
I’m using Glyphosate 41% mixed 2-3 oz per gallon for bed weed control and wood line. Sometimes it kills the weeds, and sometimes it’s like I didn’t spray them at all. I don’t understand why it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. I mix it the same way, pour the Glyphosate in the pump sprayer and fill with water to the line. I’ve tried using a surfactant with no difference. Any ideas??? Here’s the stuff I’m using. It has tons of great reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARKS3XO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can try adding a little Ammonium sulfate to the spray solution. If you have high water pH, you may be losing the effectiveness of the product.This is especially true if it sits in sprayer overnite, or over the weekend. A 1 percent solution is also pretty weak, depending upon the weed, size etc. Consider increasing the concentration rate. Hope that helps.