Weed man franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by cdqat1432, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Weed Man is canvassing hard this year. In addition to their canvasser I had visit me 2 weeks ago (first week of Feb), I'm hearing reports of the same from LCO's all over the place.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Weed Man Iowa

Weed Man Iowa LawnSite Member

I know this was awhile ago but i purchased my Weed Man Franchise last year and it was the best decision i ever made. If you have questions let me know. and as far as some of the previous people complaining about royalties and all that crap i will gladly pay those every year. I am making $187K per truck and it cost me $14,000 a year to do that in royalties and that is just for the first 2 trucks that i have. Weed Man has a declining royalty structure so the 3rd truck is 75% and the 4th is 50% so the more trucks you have the more profit you make per truck. I am profiting about 46% per truck right now after all my expenses for the entire year. so I would gladly buy into Weed Man again if i had to go back in time. But it is not for everyone some people are terrible business owners/managers with or without a franchise help.

3. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

46% NET profit or gross margin? Big difference.

4. Weed Man Iowa

net and yes there is a huge difference. I own all my equipment trucks building and everything so my sales only really have to pay for payroll and material so that's why i have a 46% NET profit. I am sure that will not stay 46% forever as i grow i will need more people and to pay those people more every year.

5. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Just because theyre not cash flow expenses doesnt mean you don't have to account for them.

6. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Silver Member

When done correctly, lawn treatments, irrigation and lighting are the highest margin services out there.

Weed Man Iowa likes this.
  7. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Senior Member

You need to take a class on equipment overhead recovery costs. In a typical app business you might see 35% in total labor and 25% in product cost. That leaves negative 6% for all other expenses. Something isn't adding up.

8. Weed Man Iowa

so I am supposed to take a class to learn something I already know and can see in my own numbers. I don't have TYPICAL expenses. my product cost is 13% this year it pays to buy in advance and get discounts and with the buying power of a franchise I pay less than the smaller shops. as far as equipment I have a spray set up per truck and a spreader that's all I need and those things last forever with proper maintenance.

9. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes when you announce your numbers others can't believe them because they don't see the same returns. I get the same feedback from some when I tell them my high margins and nets on my irrigation company. I've been in business 53 years and like you I have low overhead, paid off equipment and buy in bulk at the right times to pay 20-25% less for purchases (supply houses love to here that you stand ready with a check to pay-some even give another 3-4% off for that).

And it helps to charge the correct amount for your work and let the bottom feeding shopper clients go over to the competitors. That and I'm sure you already keep up with classes on your profession for licensing etc.

So don't change a thing-you've got it down!

Weed Man Iowa likes this.
  10. wishfull

wishfull LawnSite Member

I'm missing something here. My business is located in Canada and I've never heard of Weed Man. Of course I don't pay much attention to outfits like that as I feel they usually take far more than they give. Reminds me way too much of national service providers. Those 20% discounts for early sign ups I noticed were pretty rich. If you provide a good service just tell them that by signing up early they will have a guaranteed spot on your schedule or 5% discount maybe.