weed n fertlizer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hubby-wife, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. hubby-wife

    hubby-wife LawnSite Member
    Messages: 44

    can we as lco's apply weed control to lawns and fertlizer without a license? does anyone have a license and what are the requirments (url, etc). we have researched this thru the state site but never got a defined answer.
    our next search will have to be thru the local ag extension service.
    i apply weed control to the concrete cracks but not to the lawn, have not fertlized yet till i can get an answer. the fine may be to steep!
    thanks in advance to your replys!
  2. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    Short answer - NO, you can't apply pesticides without a license. Go to your local Ag Ext. They will give you all the info. on licensing. And yes, the fines can be steep.
  3. Scraper

    Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    The fine is also steep for applying "weed control to the concrete cracks".
  4. PhrankW

    PhrankW LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    You can contact the Texas Structural Pest Control Board @ 1-512-305-8250.

    In the state of Texas, if you apply any chemical on a property that you do not own and you don't have a license then you commit a class C misdemeanor and if you’ve been convicted of this before then it becomes a class B misdemeanor. The state of Texas can fine the applicator, the business, and the business owner. This information is taken from the Law and Regulations handbook.

    Page 19
    Civil Penalties and Injunctive Relief Section 10. Penalty of not less than $50 nor more than $2,000 for each act of violation and for each day of violation.

    Criminal Offenses Section 10A. The penalty may be in an amount no to exceed $5,000 a day for each violation. Each day a violation continues or occurs may be considered a separate violation.

    Page 21
    The state of Texas is kind enough to give you 30 days to pay these fines. If these fines cannot be paid within the 30 days then interest will be added and you can expect a nice vacation in jail for the applicator and the owner. The business will also be out of business courtesy of the State of Texas.

    What are the chances of getting caught? The state has agents who do nothing but drive around looking for you. They also encourage your competitors that did take the time to get licensed to report you. Doing so helps them put you out of business. What easier way to get rid of your competitor? In short, “The eyes of Texas are upon you” so don’t do it. It is cheaper to hire someone else to do it.
  5. cemars

    cemars LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 387

    Excellent post Frank W.:blob3:
  6. PhrankW

    PhrankW LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    Thanks cemars. It blows me away how many unlicensed "mow & blows" are out there that run up to Home Depot or Lowes and buy chemicals and then apply them on their customers lawns. They don't know the penalties and they are surprised to find that ignorance of the laws is no excuse.

    If you are in Texas and you don't have a chemical license you had better not apply chemicals. The state doesn't fool around. They will put you in jail and out of business.
  7. quiet

    quiet LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 720

    Getting your license in TX will take you a little study time and end up costing you around $300 when all is said and done.

    But you'll find it's worth it.

    Besides, you want to operate a legitimate business, right?

    Can't believe you got confusing info from the Dept of Ag, though. They're very straightforward about this, and are fond of saying that "you can't pour boiling water on a fire ant mound without a license in TX."

    And that's as it should be.

    Go to your county extension ofc. They'll help you out.
  8. actionpike

    actionpike LawnSite Member
    Messages: 19

    I also have looked at the Dept of Ag website and found it to be very confusing. When I sent them an email they told me that I only need a license if I am applying something that is on their limited-use list or state-controlled list. I have been under the impression since I began that I could not spray round up on weeds. But after I receiveed the email it changed my mind.

    If someone can clear this up for me I would appreciate it. I am interested in getting my license but could not find the steps for that either. If someone knows a number I could call to ask questions about receiving a license, I would appreciat it.


    Brian K
    Fatboy Lawncare
  9. PhrankW

    PhrankW LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

  10. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    For licensing requirements only for turf and ornamental applications, stay away from the structural pest control board and go to the department of agriculture.
    SPCB requires each applicator to have their own license. TDA, only the license holder has to have, and you can have multiple crews operating under one license holder.
    The easiest way to understand Texas TDA guidelines I have found is, provided the LCO receives money for spraying, regardless of the amount/type of material, you better have a license. This goes for weed and feed applications that are granular as well.
    With regards to license cost, mandatory CEU's, time to study, etc - your license will cost about $700 to get and about $300 per year to maintain.

Share This Page