1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

WEED WACKERS WHICH TO GET????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncutter, Apr 23, 2001.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I just coughed up 5 Ben's for the redmax eb7000..so here I go..I need some ideas for a decent back up weed wacker that is inexpensive. Any ideas??? Is the Home depot echo special good for a back up or to be run an average of 2 to 3 hours a week?? I really do not want to blow another mother load on a small piece of equipment right now due to the fact that I am fixing to get another 36" walk behind and a Shindaiwa AH230 stick hedge trimmer ( oh god my wife is going to be bent at me)yes wife will have a major fit!! Throw me some input on the mass produced junk that is decent out there!!

2. steve's lawn care

steve's lawn care LawnSite Member

shindawa is the only way to go Echo seem to be very tempermental or if not try a Red Max I would not go with anything else but those two.

3. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

cajuncutter

My dealer seals the echo srm-2100 for the same price as home cheapo and sets it up, starts it and throws in a six pack (oil not the good stuff) Last one I bought was $199, als I'm still using one everyday that is going on it's fourth season. I think the echo's give you the most bang for your buck.

4. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

If you have an old trimmer around, or can get one, Kawasaki has a $60 trade in that is good through the end of the month. I got the 22.5cc trimmer for about $220 after the $60 credit. I use this as my main line trimmer and love it. Very light weight, and fires up on the second pull every time. Just my 2 cents. If your wife needs to vent, let me know, I will give you my wife's number and they can talk about us to each other. LOL

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

(I would only buy Shindaiwa).........but I do have several friends that have had good luck with the Makita trimmers. (What I consider cheap)

6. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

The makita trimmers are made by robin so they should be half way decent, but I didn't think they were very cheap in price.

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

About 235.......I call it cheap....Alot cheaper than a 79 dollar Homelight in the long run (not that anyone here did/would recommend 1......just a point)

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Double D I may take you up on that LOL.. She just got home and I told her about the shin AH 230..she is not happy with me right now lol..I borrowed one from a buddy of mine and fell in love..they sit right here on the floor next to my as I surf :D Anyway she has no idea I am looking for a weed wacker hehehehe so maybe we exchange numbers lol..

Anyway thanx for the input...the echo is sounding promissing...

9. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

red max has always worked for me, they are expensive but worth it, I agree with EXMARK it is better to buy a nice piece of equipment now that will last, instead of replacing a cheaper one once a year.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

this is a backup? if you already have a strong main trimmer like echo or whatever u prefer, why get a top of the line for a back up? for back up why not get a "dept store brand" trimmer. for example craftsman, this is only while main one is in shop right? wouldnt a draftsman $89 trimmer do for 2 days every once in a great moon while main is in shop?