Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in business about 4 mos... I have noticed many proffesional guys removing their deflector sheilds on all their weedeaters, does anyone have an opinion on the pros/cons of doing this. I haven't done it yet because it seems like you would have problems with excessive flying debris and that the trimmer line would
tend to wear uneven without the shields knife edge...Thanks :help:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had absolutely no injurys due to no guards on my trimmers. For eye protection i sometimes wear sun glasses.
Guards, IMO, are annoying and get in the way. It is easier without them. And i hate the knife that cuts your line. If my line gets too long i just grind it against a rock. That knife actually makes you use more line.
If your afraid of getting hurt leave em' on

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
lawnandplow42 said:
I've had absolutely no injurys due to no guards on my trimmers. For eye protection i sometimes wear sun glasses.
Guards, IMO, are annoying and get in the way. It is easier without them. And i hate the knife that cuts your line. If my line gets too long i just grind it against a rock. That knife actually makes you use more line.
If your afraid of getting hurt leave em' on
I agree 100 percent, I tried it both ways and found:
- The silly little guard on a commercial weed-eater is like the mud-flap on a dirtbike: It doesn't stop much debris from flying your way, and it impairs your useful angle as it tends to lodge itself on rocks and sidewalks and other things. The easiest way to stop catching rocks with your teeth is practice, correct angle is key to this - Also, use Round-up on gravel driveways helps a whole lot because unfortunately you WANT to aim the debris towards yourself (just not directly at you).
- I like running a loooong line myself and find the knife impairs this. I run .080 and I like about a foot of line either side of head. Far as it getting uneven, the line constantly wears while weed-eating and the outer edges wear the most so the line stays even despite the missing knife. In addition, I agree with the above statement: The knife wastes more line AND you can always rub it off some against rocks or asphalt.
- For protection, I wear shaded safety goggles, Stihl sells these wide sunglass-like devices for about 7.99 but you can find other brands for less and yes, sunglasses work also BUT the goggles wrap further. The shaded goggles look cool, I would never get no geeky rubber-band with the holes in the side eye shield.

Besides, I love the danger, the risk... And yes, it does hurt to catch a pebble in the lip but you will likely catch this anyway, guard or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Even with a guard I've been hit with stuff. Just today a nail that someone dropped off the edge of a sidewalk came up and hit the bill of my hat. I've been hit with rocks and such too. I usually wear wrap around sun glasses but I have seemed to misplaced them lately..... I have never tried it without a guard but if it saves string I'm all for it :cool:

Reactions: JayinKs

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Guards on...they're there for a reason! Would you take your windshield off your car?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
guards off, but i always wear safety glasses....... you can't replace an eye......

·
Banned
246 Posts
I can not understand why so many want to take the gaurds off and . Burn up the engine , Their is more than one reason them gaurds , ohh hell with it if your stupid enough to take them off then telling ya why not to would be beating a dead horse .

Osha ever catches ya that may be the brain tune up alot of ya need , Hell why dont we just take a torch and cut the sides off the mower decks , :angry:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
C&KLawnCare said:
I can not understand why so many want to take the gaurds off and . Burn up the engine.
What do you mean by burn up the engine?

I see you have mowed part-time for 3 years. How are those Craftsman and Murray mowers holding up. I started out with a Craftsman rider i already had and it lasted 1 year. Got all commercial equipment now.

·
Banned
246 Posts
What do you mean by burn up the engine?
Because with out the line limiter, Ya are always running out more line than designed , So slower speeds dragging all that line just creats more heat and stress on the engine .

I see you have mowed part-time for 3 years. How are those Craftsman and Murray mowers holding up.
My Mowers are doing just great runs everytime never miss a beat ,

I am getting pretty damn sick of this attitude about what diffrent LCO's run for equipment , IT DONT FRIGGEN MATTER THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING , Blade turns and grass gets cut .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally I like the guards off because you can't see the line as good when edging with the weed eater, however you do have to be careful not to let too much line out because it does strain the engine. I just keep small cutters in my pocket for that, but you can dictate how much line comes out by how hast you spin the head when bumping the weed eater. I hope that was clear to all, but if you've ever used a weed eater you know what I'm saying.

As far as the kind of equipment you use, its all on preference and how much money you have to spend. They basically do the same thing some just easier or better than others. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
The companys I've worked for in the past have always ran with the guards on. We mowed a 4 acre cemetary, 20 acre college, 10 acre estate,plus 15 residentials. We used to fill spools once a week twice at most if we edged sidewalks. Almost never took down any plants. The company I work for now no guards. Fill spools daily, can't get no rythm going, start making good time zip goodbye hosta,wires, siding. Just makes a disaster.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
C&KLawnCare said:
My Mowers are doing just great runs everytime never miss a beat ,

I am getting pretty damn sick of this attitude about what diffrent LCO's run for equipment , IT DONT FRIGGEN MATTER THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING , Blade turns and grass gets cut .
I gave you a simple statement that I had a Craftsman rider and it gave out after one year and was curious how yours were holding out. I had to replace a starter,replace other items and then a spindle broke and that was the last straw for me. It also left a bad cut compared to a commercial mower.

I can image you have gotten several posts about craftsman is for homeowners so that is why you are angry. If something as simple as what mower you have angers you then you got a real anger issue.

How are you doing in the real world with your anger?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
lats year i took them off... I put them back on this year. It didnt get in the way that much, and my guys would aways tap it to much and the string would be a 2 feet long sometimes. Plus if you get pulled over by osha, with your guards off, your a$$ is grass.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.