1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

weedeater shafts

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Randocammando, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Randocammando

Randocammando LawnSite Member

Dumb question Is it possible to change a curved shaft to a straight shaft for attachments. Or half to buy a new weedeater

2. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Depending upon the brand, it is certainly possible, I've done it several times. The problem is that for most brands, the curved shaft is a different diameter than the straight shaft. Also, unless you can find a scraped out unit, it's not cost effective to buy new parts for the conversion.

It's probably better to buy a new unit.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

remember with the straight shaft you'd also need the gear box at the end of the shaft and probably a new inner drive shaft as well, anbd maybe a clutch i'd put those parts easily over 100 bucks... and when a new ryobi or echo is less than 200 at a big box...why mess with it. buy a new one and sell the old on CL....

4. Randocammando

Randocammando LawnSite Member

Well dang i think im staying with the curved sounds way over my head thought it was something fairly simple guess not thanks guys