Lawn Care Forum banner

Weeds around junipers

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Smallaxe 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice. Usually when I post here, the licensed guys yell and scream so here is my situation. I have a commercial account that I have cut for the last 4 years. As I have done with many of my accounts, I have recommended a lawn and tree chemical company to handle weed control and fertilization. I use them at my home and customers are happy with them. At the commercial account, there is a hill about 50 feet long with junipers on it..full sun. Weeds of all kinds growing in and around the junipers. I have asked the lawn treatment company to give me a price to handle it. They say they will not since it will contaminate their tanks. I weed eat the hill everytime I cut the property and it has gotten old. I want to handle killing the weeds on my own and advised the owner and have his support. What is the best chemical to use? I will buy a pump sprayer just for that chemical. It is not grass around the junipers, just about 20 different weeds. I need something to spray over the top. can I spray it now or does it have to be warmer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

#5 ·
Broadleaf weeds? juniper shrubs trees or grouncover? There is an over-the-top product for such a situation but the price will make you sick.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
The weeds are around and under the junipers. Round up is not an option since I may not have a license to spray ELS, but have enough common sense not to do what the guy who used to have the account did. He killed some of them using round up. The weed companies around here do not want to mess with it because they are making their money filling their big tanks with weed killer/fertilzer. I will research. ELS is the typical reply here...the licensed guys act like we want to perform brain surgery without a license. They do not ask for a license at the supply houses either. I usually abide by it, but i will just follow directions on the bottle.

#7 ·
The weeds are around and under the junipers. Round up is not an option since I may not have a license to spray ELS, but have enough common sense not to do what the guy who used to have the account did. He killed some of them using round up. The weed companies around here do not want to mess with it because they are making their money filling their big tanks with weed killer/fertilzer. I will research. ELS is the typical reply here...the licensed guys act like we want to perform brain surgery without a license. They do not ask for a license at the supply houses either. I usually abide by it, but i will just follow directions on the bottle.
Sorry it was the typical response but I could not encourge you to break the law because then I would be guilty of incitement. Mulch does work very well.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm not too far from you and just treated some areas for mainly henbit, clover and dandelions. I would recommend looking for someone to sub this work out to, so you don't break the law. I used 4 Speed XT on my apps and it wilted most of the weeds within 48 hours even with the cold temps.

#10 ·
I know the op is t licensed so this is directed more to anyone reading this as i have a similar problem but am licensed. Wouldn't ornamec or fusillade work?
Posted via Mobile Device
They are primarily for controlling bermuda grass in juniper. I have yet to here of anything that will do a great job of killing everything but juniper, but RU will kill any branches it touches. I find it nice to charge out labor for hand picking weeds monthly.

#11 ·
I use Gallery and dimention mixture after weeding or before weeds sprout. It is a lot of money and I do not believe you will be able to buy it without na pesticide license. I am sure you can find someone to sub it out to.
I would be happy to help if I was close.
Good Luck

#14 ·
They are primarily for controlling bermuda grass in juniper. I have yet to here of anything that will do a great job of killing everything but juniper, but RU will kill any branches it touches. I find it nice to charge out labor for hand picking weeds monthly.
Please do not use Ornamec or Fusilade over the top of Juniperus horizontalis unless you have a source of free replacements. Envoy or Sethoxydim is much safer. Broadleaf weeds might be controlled by either Lontrel or Image. If your CPO only treats cool season grasses, that is why he does not want to have Image in the tank. If he does not have a tree and shrub only tank, no way would he put in the grass herbicides.

Much could be covered with an engine drive backpack and a spray gun. Very easy to wash those things out so there is no cross contamination.

#15 ·
Yall are over complicating this. I spray round up around juniper all the time and some times a light spray over the top if bermuda is coming through and I never killed one. You don't want to drench the juniper but if some gets on it I doubt it will kill it. License is just a tax. Read the label and follow is more important than if you have a license. I'm licensed and some stuff still confuses me..

#16 ·
Please do not use Ornamec or Fusilade over the top of Juniperus horizontalis unless you have a source of free replacements. Envoy or Sethoxydim is much safer. Broadleaf weeds might be controlled by either Lontrel or Image. If your CPO only treats cool season grasses, that is why he does not want to have Image in the tank. If he does not have a tree and shrub only tank, no way would he put in the grass herbicides.

Much could be covered with an engine drive backpack and a spray gun. Very easy to wash those things out so there is no cross contamination.
Thanks. I could have looked at the label but it was easier just to ask
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
depending on the type of juniper, someone can hold up branches, and diluted round up can be sprayed. I wasn't aware that image was labeled for juniper...I'm going to go check that label! I have a tank that I use image in.

#18 ·
depending on the type of juniper, someone can hold up branches, and diluted round up can be sprayed. I wasn't aware that image was labeled for juniper...I'm going to go check that label! I have a tank that I use image in.
Full blown image, with 1/3 to 1/2 oz of non selective herb, Per gal. Use on 5' x 5' area, where you have issues. Nuke it. Watch it. Remember what happens. You will never have to ask. How much to replace the juniper vs all the stuff you heard about guys doin it, get where IM going. Rates are always adjustable. Within the law of the label. Stay away from dwarf variety's and ones with blight present.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
If you're weed-whipping that often you may do your client and yourself a favor by ripping up the roots and followup with mulch this Fall...
Irrigation strategy here is to let the ground dry out enough to prevent the weeds from growing much, if at all... tearing at the roots all summer long should do the trick... 50' of garden should take less and less time each time you do it...
It may seem like a big job at first but it is only horticulture sohave fun with it... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.