Weeds between Curb and Street

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
Lately I've been seeing lots of lawns handled by pros that still have weeds at the curb. The job isn't done IMO. What do you say?

Last edited:

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
Lately I've been seeing lots of lawns handled by pros that still have weeds at the curb. The job isn't done IMO. What do you say?

I spray them but I have a license for it. In no way shape or form would I dare put a trimmer on that. So, for the guys who are “mow only” I don’t see something like this being their responsibility. The issue more of a city,county,township, etc. issue than the homeowners in my opinion. They maintain the roadways don’t they? Also, who wants to be in the road working when someone has to check their facebook while driving?

mgoldman

LawnSite Member
I've a customer at the end of a gradual incline on a corner lot. Sediment has collected to inches deep in his gutter and weeds are bad. He won't pay to have it sprayed and I'm not trimming it. I concur that it's a city problem. That gutter probably g as a cpl yards of grit n sand that needs clearing.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
anyone that leaves crap like that on the curb is a hack job. i can't stand it when homeowners or lawn companies don't mow the ditch by the road or edge or trim their curbs thinking it's the city's responsibility. it's in your freakin' front yard dude. it's your responsibility. i mean sure the city owns like 15 ft from the road or whatever it is but it's still your front yard so take care of it. don't count on the city for help. they aren't gonna do it.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
It depends what the client pays for. Full service and weed control clients it's taken care off. Mow only well it's called mow only for a reason.
i take care of it all no matter what. i could never leave a job half-azzed like that. it would bug me to death. i even spray the beds for weeds. i just can't leave stuff undone. it feels like doing an incomplete job. i'm too ocd i guess.

it's just the way i am i guess. when i get hired to mow a yard i take care of the whole yard. i even trim low hanging tree limbs and such...mostly to get them out of my way so i can mow. sure i will charge a bit more to "get the yard into shape"...i just can't stand a yard that's not neat and crisp and in order.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
anyone that leaves crap like that on the curb is a hack job. i can't stand it when homeowners or lawn companies don't mow the ditch by the road or edge or trim their curbs thinking it's the city's responsibility. it's in your freakin' front yard dude. it's your responsibility. i mean sure the city owns like 15 ft from the road or whatever it is but it's still your front yard so take care of it. don't count on the city for help. they aren't gonna do it.
So what do you do when they rip that ditch up to fix a water, gas, cable etc. line and don’t smooth it out or seed it very well? Do you just spend your time/$ fixing it or do you just do it and b1tch about it for the next 2 years?

I personally don’t like the grass in the cracks or ditches being left un mowed but if it was that big of a deal, the city would take care of it. Like all the medians that get sprayed.

BigJlittleC

Banned
i take care of it all no matter what. i could never leave a job half-azzed like that. it would bug me to death. i even spray the beds for weeds. i just can't leave stuff undone. it feels like doing an incomplete job. i'm too ocd i guess.
I like to get paid for my work. Plus at this time I no longer take on mow only clients and have been letting my remaining ones purge themselves from my list. So it's even less a concern.