1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weeds in St. Augustine/Centipede

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by RAlmaroad, Dec 1, 2006.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I need a product that I can use for winter control of Shepherd's Purse, Buckhorn Plantain and pennywort. Any help or advise will be helpful. Lawns are in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and most grasses are dormant but the weeds are still there.
    Thanks, Roy almaroad

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

The only recommendation we would make based on these grasses is atrazine. Any other product will damage any turf that is not 100% dormant.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

I need to overseed in May-June with centipede grass seed, which is real expensive. What is your suggestion to fertlization of existing grass seed as not to kill the young grass seed?
    I just put down the Atrazine. It is suppsed to be in the upper 60's for a while.
    Thanks,
    Roy Almaroad

4. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

I believe you also received this information from our Tech Services department, but they told me they recommend an 18-24-12 analysis.

Thanks,
    Bob

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

Bob:
    I plan to overseed the Centipede grass around May or when the temps stay about 70 during the day and not much under 65 at night. Would you recommend that I still fertlize the existing grass (Which is Dormant) at the end of February using the 5-0-17 without the Dimension? Does Lesco have such a material? Gkass is in South Carolina.
    Thanks,
    Roy Almaroad

6. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Sorry for the delay, Roy.

I talked to our Tech Services guys and they recommend waiting until the grass breaks dormancy to get the full benefit of the fertilizer. And we do have fertilizer analyses close to what you were looking for (9-2-24).

Let me know if you need anything else,
    Bob

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

here you go....its the only one i know of www.agralawn.com

also suppposedly works on dollar weed but i havent used it for tha yet

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i guess i shoulda added that you can get it from pro source or UAP,,,,i get it from UAP in Mulberry, florida

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scott

You might also add that you have a vested interest in that Chemical company.

10. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

it's labeled for st aug, centipede as well as others