Weight down walk behind.

TJLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
When using a velke, my walk behind tends to wheelie up in front. My question is: Should you weight down the front or is this not a good idea on a w/b mower. If it is ok to do, then what would be the best way to do this, and how much weight? Thanks for any help.

Jim White

LawnSite Member
Instead of using the Velke, try sitting of the engine and learning to operate the controls backward, With this type of operator interface, you won't need to consider a rider in the future. Also be sure to have a good pair of asbesto's underware on, sometimes it get's a little hot up there on the larger accounts.

geogunn

LawnSite Gold Member
jim white--I am familiar with the problem as described. dam* mower wants to cut before I am ready! I'm willing to try anything! whereinthehell can I get some of those undies?<p>GEO

Jim White

LawnSite Member
I had my maw sew me up a pair, when she was waiting on me in car while I mowed. I think she got the stuff from one of those asbesto's abatement companies, that are dumpin the stuff behind school. Also be sure to lather up with a good petroleum jelly, the undies will give you one hellava rash if wet yourself.

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a 35# weight on the front of my Toro W/B and it really helps. Its a piece of lead that I mounted to some bar stock and fastened to the frame.
BTW what is this 2 for 1 day