Weird issue not seen before

CFH

LawnSite Member
Hi everyone!

Ran into an issue today I have not yet seen before. Client has a Hunter Pro-C controller. All kinds of errors, so I removed it and put in place a known fully working controller of the same brand and model from my spare stuff in the truck. Go to run zone 1 and sprinklers in front work. Go to run zone 2, same sprinklers in front work. Go through all 6 zones connected and the same zone in front come on every time. I then tried running zone 7 (no zone wire connected to zone 7 terminal) and again same zone in front comes on. I am seriously scratching my head on this. Any clues?

OP
C

CFH

LawnSite Member
Note to add - the clients original controller did very similar things only that some zones did nothing due to what I suspect were bad terminals in controller box.

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
My first guess is you rewired the replacement wrong.
Second guess is multi-strand nicked and wires touching each other.
Best guess is you you don't know what you're doing. When I see " All kinds of errors " or " spare stuff " and " bad terminals in controller box" it makes me wonder.:dizzy:

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
speaking of good ol' Leary

he would leave spares on everything, he knew they would be calling him back before long and he'd have spare runs ready to go for his next phase.

...lol, if i remember correctly, i think he once, after a distilled explanation of what options were available to the client for want of a free consultation, had the "regular" happily agree to his hourly rate for a coffee session visit. im sure someone else remembers better. Id pay thrice his hourly rate for a coffee session if it were only possible. Good man

CFH needs Jim if he's serious. Because it sounds like theres several pieces to this puzzle and the poor HO could spend a bunch on nothing.

but Jim never gives any direct answers to these situations, he just teaches the associated lesson and CFH will have to use that to make it work.

his 120 hourly rate is well worth it.

Last edited:
OP
C

CFH

LawnSite Member
Replacement controller wired correctly. My god, it is a common wire, P/MV wire and then zone wires. How do you screw that up? No multistrand wire in this scenario. It was originally wired with individual wires from controller, out side of house in PVC then to each valve. "Spare stuff" - yes, I happen to have a fully functional replacement controller with me from another job where they wanted a wifi enabled controller with Iphone app. So I know it works completely as I was the one who replaced it not even 2 weeks ago and held on to it "just in case". Yes, all kind of errors on original controller such as P ERR on a few zones but not on others. Since I had the spare sitting in my truck I gave it a whirl and did not getting any of the same error codes, so I concluded perhaps the original controller went bad.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Here's my guess.
The zone that comes on every time has an issue and is not closing. So each time the Master valve comes on that zone waters.

1st step is to check electrical readings at the controller

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
Replacement controller wired correctly. My god, it is a common wire, P/MV wire and then zone wires. How do you screw that up? No multistrand wire in this scenario. It was originally wired with individual wires from controller, out side of house in PVC then to each valve. "Spare stuff" - yes, I happen to have a fully functional replacement controller with me from another job where they wanted a wifi enabled controller with Iphone app. So I know it works completely as I was the one who replaced it not even 2 weeks ago and held on to it "just in case". Yes, all kind of errors on original controller such as P ERR on a few zones but not on others. Since I had the spare sitting in my truck I gave it a whirl and did not getting any of the same error codes, so I concluded perhaps the original controller went bad.
Hers my take on this problem-

1) too many people come to the forum wanting solutions to their problems without first testing the system properly. Grabbing your multimeter and supplying the membership with resistance measurements for ALL ZONES is your first step in the right direction.

2) make sure for certain you don’t have a mechanical problem with zone one (thank Arthur for his response) power off/ manually bleed the M/V.

3) if this is a hunter system you should have resistance values between 25-30 ohms for a good zone, 200 ohms or better would be a splicing issue, 0-8 ohms (but never 1 or OL) indicates the degree of short.

4) experience tells me when a common wire is shorted to a valve, that valve will operate every time any of the other valves are activated. The exception to this rule would be if other zones were ganged which could exceed the transformer output.

The possibility of the field wire shorting with all of the other field wires is there but iffy for various reasons.

Bad modules could be a reason as could the controller.

Best of luck to you

Btw, you need to talk through this, pm me for my cell number.

frumdig

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll make an assumption... zone 1 valve is hung open for whatever reason. And none of the zone valves are getting power because of a common wire issue. Master valve is still getting power, maybe its wire ran a separate path from the zone valves... or its first in the wire path and your bad connection is at or after the MV. /assumptions

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
And to add to my post;

Another first poster who hasn’t kept up with his thread, I’m hoping his customer service is not a reflection of his introduction to the forum.

There’s a lot of great advice to be gleaned on the irrigation forum, a lot of poor advice too. Any man grown and raised right has the ability to pick and choose which fits his taste and style.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
And to add to my post;

Another first poster who hasn’t kept up with his thread, I’m hoping his customer service is not a reflection of his introduction to the forum.

There’s a lot of great advice to be gleaned on the irrigation forum, a lot of poor advice too. Any man grown and raised right has the ability to pick and choose which fits his taste and style.
I feel so used and dirty when this happens

Top Forums