• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

weld problem-Boss

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Don't get me started!

Mine's slightly worse and I've never hit anything. A lot of our older units have been MUCH more abused and are just fine.

diggerman

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah,grind it down weld it up and go back to work, its not a major issue.Of my 8 I have to fix one of these points every now and then,we just repair them when they are in the shop getting serviced after a snow.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
No and the 1st 2 types of Boss V's didn't, either.

This is only a problem on the 1998's and newer.

This problem (and the RTII) has really bled off my brand loyalty to Boss.

John Allin

LawnSite Bronze Member
We've had only a handful of problems with our Boss's over the past 6 years. What is depicted is not one of them. However, I'm with Digger - grind it out, weld it up, and go forward.

At least you don't have to weld it daily (like with Meyers).

John Allin

LawnSite Bronze Member
We're having a brand new one installed on a 2001 3/4 ton Dodge later this week. You can be sure that I'll be taking a close look at it once it comes in, and having my mechanic take a close look at the welds you showed in your picture.

Can't be too careful.....

We bought a brand new one last season too - and we'll be looking at that one on Monday too, just in case.....

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
It's not a weld flaw.

It's a design flaw that snaps the bottom port side retainer ring and places undue stress on the seam weld.

I don't believe it's coincidence that PineIslands front plow look identical to the ones I've seen including mine.