Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I weld a TON. I have a ole Lincoln buzz box (stick) and Millermatic 250 ( commercial mig) and BIG Esab plasma cutter and torches. I just want to mention a few things folks may not realize.

First, "stick" welders are simple, non fussy and can be MUCH better for repairing old equipment. They have superior heat penetration for a newbie and are relatively cheap. Lincoln bottom of the line buzz boxes are everywhere and dirt cheap(usually $50 $150). Rust is MUCH less of an issue (less grinding and cleaning necessary before welding) in tight spots. The fumes are bad, but your not talking about hours and days of welding. They can distort new fabrications faster due to significant heats, but for repairs and new welders, the penetration is MOST important.

Just use caution due LOTS of "open line voltage" if the ground is damp/ wet. This is perhaps the ONLY reason to steer away from a stick.

Ironwood

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.