Lawn Care Forum banner

welding blades

13K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Snapper Jack 
#1 ·
Does anyone weld nicks in their blades befofe sharpening them? I have had a friend doing it for me and it has added life to a few blades so Im debating weathe or not to buy a welder.

#27 ·
What is up with all this ridiculous commotion of welding lawn mower blades

WHEW!!!! I have seen men walk a beam 100 feet in the air with no safety belt, their answer I aint never fell before and I am being careful. I have heard men bragg about driving 100mph on the interstate, no ticket or accident, well all it takes is one.

This baffles my mind and I am 64 yrs of age, I have seen a lot of things, accidents, accidents waiting to happen, stupid stunts of the young etc. But welding blades?? come on. this is a joke right?

#29 ·

WHEW!!!! I have seen men walk a beam 100 feet in the air with no safety belt, their answer I aint never fell before and I am being careful. I have heard men bragg about driving 100mph on the interstate, no ticket or accident, well all it takes is one.

This baffles my mind and I am 64 yrs of age, I have seen a lot of things, accidents, accidents waiting to happen, stupid stunts of the young etc. But welding blades?? come on. this is a joke right?
This is the kind of post you get when you don't read the actual post. NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT WELDING BLADES!!!!!!

#31 ·
R u sure this thread isn't about welding on blades?
Posted via Mobile Device
A large nick would be say 1/8" long and what maybe 1/32 deep. This is not about welding blades. Welding on blades, yes. But that kind of welding is not going to fly apart and do any damage let alone kill somebody. Y'all's just be'in ignant.

#32 ·
R u sure this thread isn't about welding on blades?
Posted via Mobile Device
All this tred is about is filling in nicks on the cutting edge of mower blades so you dont have to grind som much off to get the serface you want when sharpening.

Naturally if all our accounts were perfect a blade would never get nicked, and would only need to be sharpened.

I would never try to weld a broken or cracked blede, unless it was for my bushhog and personal use

#33 ·

They are just using the welding wire/rod as filler, they aren't cutting blades in half and welding them back together or nothing.:)

#34 ·
OK, I checked with my local welding supply house for some "hard faced" welding wire. It only comes in .045 size and my mini-mig welder can only handle .030 and works best with .023
Plus it costs $15/lb.

It really ain't worth it to weld the nicks with mild steel. Have you noticed how hard mower blades are? You can't hardly drill a hole in them. A weld with mild steel don't even come close.

So I guess I'm back to just sharpening.

Thanks for the info though.

Dave
You really need a good 220V welder for that hard-face filler and the smallest reel you can buy is 10lbs,so it would be quite expensive just to fill those deep necks in. The bad thing about using HF is it becomes quite brittle making that fill in area non impact resistance which could cause that filling to break upon impact"Not GooD". I'll stick to standard mig wire,since it's given me the best results and hey don't you just love opening up a can of worms:rolleyes: Be safe and don't do anything stupid:laugh::laugh::laugh:Later:waving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.