Well Fed System-Ideas

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I've worked on a system for a few years fed off a well. Pump went out recently and well people will be replacing this week. Pump is 5hp run through 2" pipe. System is HO "Special" he was a genius, might have been a train driver at some point. I've just been nursing the system and going with as is but I see the opportunity to maybe make some improvements or at least have an idea what's what. With 5hp I'd imagine some of the smaller zones are way over pressured so maybe some sort of pop off pressure bleed? What would you recommend? Other ideas that might make service easier later since piping at pump will be done over.

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What is the gpm of the pump? How big are the zones? If the 5hp makes too much water why not have the right pump installed while you have the chance. You could go VFD or a cycle stop valve.

enorl76 likes this.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Never had any luck with the plastic cycle stop, but the brass versions worked fine. What I did have great luck with were the VFD 'on-demand' systems!!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 1.31.35 PM.png

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0747boost.jpg

4. greenmonster304

I am not sure how many vfd systems you had but you always post the same pic so maybe just the one? Anyway, those things are a pain in the balls. They are constantly screwing up and needing to have the drives replaced. Not to mention the cost.

zr100 likes this.
  5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'd imagine VFD's are priced significantly higher? If so they prob won't go there. They'll prob say something like "well it's worked like this for so long so it must be good".

I ask the well guy about gpm/psi.

I was thinking something simple as a pop off type valve when pressure goes above a certain #.

Zones vary by gpm so.....

6. Mike Leary

Just trying to help and get information out there. FYI, the pics are of two different sites, and, quite honestly, you can stick it in your ear complaining of my pics, I used VFD in a lot of applications, but, never took pics. I had zero problems, and if cost is your parameter, rather than efficiency, you're in the wrong gig!:hammerhead:

7. greenmonster304

You are too sensitive. A big price tag would be fine if the stupid things worked but they burn out in a few years and cost $3000. So... that's why I don't like them

8. Mike Leary

Worth researching:

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 4.30.05 PM.png

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

2 " pipe tells me shallow well. 5HP pump tells me way overpowered. Any more info?

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Pardon the Captain Obvious question, but is this a submersible pump or an above-ground pump?