Well.... I'm out!!!

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by DanaMac, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

After 23 years in business, I am closing it up. Possibly selling the biz, working with a buyer now but not sure if it will happen. If it doesn't, I'm selling assets and walking away. It's time. I'm tired, and tired of being cranky. It's not a priority for me anymore, and my focus on life has changed over the years. It's been a wonderful career, but time for me to reinvent myself and find a new one. I've had the absolute best employees - one 16 years, one 8 years, and one 7 years. Thousands of customers, and the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

Wife is quitting her job, and she and I are leaving in April for a two month road trip. Camping, sightseeing, visiting family and friends, and looking for a potential new landing spot. Traveling CO, WY, ID, MT, Canada, WA, OR, CA, AZ, UT, CO again. National parks and monuments, camp on the beach, catch a few baseball games in SF and LA, hike the Grand Canyon and St Helens, yada yada yada. Camping in the Tacoma with the Tepui roof top tent. We'll be looking for a place to move to closer to family in MT and OR, and looking for a business to buy or start up (NOT sprinkler related).

You guys and gals have been the best. I've personally met about 10 people from the forum - went skiing, snowshoeing, drinking beers, etc. I'll still chime in from time to time. I may do some kind of blog or something for our travels, and I'll post it up if I do. Enjoy the season, and I hope to tip one back if I meet up with you.
    Cheers.

20170629_130951 (2).jpg

View attachment 357823

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You've been an interesting friend there danamac, on one hand I truly am saddend by your departure, on the other hand I can't wait for your new life to begin.

The best of luck to you and the lovely Mrs Wendymac, safe travels and a long and fruitful journey!!!!

DXN1EL and TX Easymoney like this.
  3. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd recommend looking into BC, Canada. Probably the most beautiful part of this country but not if you want to buy land, now is a bad time.

If you come here I have some paid irrigation consulting work for you on Vancouver island :). The economy is great here and I think they even let Americans in sometimes.

I didn't know you and am new here but wish you good luck anyway.

I always appreciate any poster who has spent so many years here, helping the industry in general.

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like an exciting time in your life, I wish you well! If I may ask, how old are you? I am envious of you that you can just walk away from your business. I hope to get there one day.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Dana- always appreciated your posts.

When you know it’s time it’s time.

Things are just starting!!!
    Ever think about selling some of the business to the guys?

If you ever get out east you and your wife are welcome here on the Cape. Let’s hang out.

Your pal Eddie

6. OP
    OP
    DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Jim - you da man. I still have your number, I'll still call you (or you call me).

Mitty - Vancouver, BC is one place we are interested in. if we land there, I'll reach out to you.

Greenmonster - I'm 47. Started the biz at 24. Just so everyone is clear, I'm not retiring. Money isn't there yet. But for mental health and peace, I need this change.

Eddie - my dad still lives outside Worcester, and I'm hoping to travel more (even more than I already do which is a lot). So a trip back to the Cape sounds good. My guys don't have the $$ or the drive to buy and own it. Well, one has the drive, but not the funds. And I'm not carrying a note.

I would love to have a job that involves traveling for a while. Here's a photo from Yellowstone last year. 20170708_143512.jpg

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'll miss hearing about the crazy temperature swings in Colorado killing backflow preventers left and right. If you find yourself on The Brisket Trail, say hi to Fimco.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta say...I'm jealous. I know the feeling and have a lot of regrets of missing family time because of the business running me. Especially the snow side. And the stress and grumpiness part.

Good luck with your new venture.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You KNOW you've got my vote, Dana, we've talked about you making a break before, hopefully this is it. Welcome to visit us in the deep desert, nice Pacifico is always cold! If you're like me, you'll prolly move up to a larger coach. Here's one: best travels to you both!

'.jpg

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to you Dana. I won't lie, I'm a little envious that you are escaping the industry. I've thought about a career change many times myself but I just don't know what else I would do. Enjoy your traveling adventures. That's something that I have always said that I want to do but I fear that by the time I can retire I'll be too old to do it. I'm sure that at some point your next business opportunity will present itself when the time is right.

1idejim likes this.